TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, in my 1994 ive noticed a unique sound when accelerating. It is a sort of whistle when the tranny is shifing and building up pressure. It also makes the high pitched whistle when its trying to shift into OD, which it usually fails to do because i do around 2000 rpms at 60mph. What is causing this noise and could it be related to not shifting into OD??:(

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Not sure on the whistle sound, but how do you know its not going into OD? Have you held a steady 60 mph and pressed the "OD off" button that is on the shifter handle and looked at the tach to see if it jumps up any? 2K @ 60 sounds about right to me, but it's been a while.

Jay

·
Super Moderator
5,174 Posts
hey guys, in my 1994 ive noticed a unique sound when accelerating. It is a sort of whistle when the tranny is shifing and building up pressure. It also makes the high pitched whistle when its trying to shift into OD, which it usually fails to do because i do around 2000 rpms at 60mph. What is causing this noise and could it be related to not shifting into OD??:(
A set of 3.08s in the diff, on almost-spent 225/60R16s does 2K at 75 MPH. If your diff is running 3.73s on the same tires then it would be about right to do 2K at 60.

(Some here would LOVE to see 2K at 60 - a set of 5.10s like one guy here runs would put me at about 2650 RPM, instead of my current giving 1600 RPM.)

RwP

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
A set of 3.08s in the diff, on almost-spent 225/60R16s does 2K at 75 MPH. If your diff is running 3.73s on the same tires then it would be about right to do 2K at 60.

(Some here would LOVE to see 2K at 60 - a set of 5.10s like one guy here runs would put me at about 2650 RPM, instead of my current giving 1600 RPM.)

RwP
My 97 4.6 with the stock 3.27 open rear runs at 1800rpm at 60 in OD. I run 2200 at 75, This is on stock new 215 70R15 tires.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i will try to press my OD button off and see if the rpms jump, thanks for the idea. And about the sound, i will post a video soon and see if you guys can diagnose it because it is really becoming annoying

·
Registered
13 Posts
If it helps you, I may have the same noise... The pitch is very similar to a CRT television, but not as loud, right? I've been wondering what it was for a while.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah lucifertengu that sounds like mine, if you ever find out what it is, let me know. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts