TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, my 1994 cougar is having trouble shifting into high gear. I have reason to suspect this because it has stock 3.08s and does 2000-2100 RPM at 60mph. Overdrive on. Any ideas?:confused:

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
hey guys, my 1994 cougar is having trouble shifting into high gear. I have reason to suspect this because it has stock 3.08s and does 2000-2100 RPM at 60mph. Overdrive on. Any ideas?:confused:
Hmm, that seems strange. Do you have smaller than stock tires? My Bird does like 1800 at 60 and it has 3.27s. As for not shifting into high gear, it goes through 1st and 2nd ok? Is the OD light blinking? Has anything been changed in the car recently? Have you tried manually starting off in 1st, and shifting up through the gears?

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,525 Posts
With a 3.08 rear and a 4R70W, your effective ratio in OD would be 2.156. With a 26" tall tire that would mean 1672 RPM at 60 MPH. 3rd gear would be 2389 RPM.

Can you feel the torque converter lock after you shift into 3rd, and do you know that it's staying locked?

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
With a 3.08 rear and a 4R70W, your effective ratio in OD would be 2.156. With a 26" tall tire that would mean 1672 RPM at 60 MPH. 3rd gear would be 2389 RPM.

Can you feel the torque converter lock after you shift into 3rd, and do you know that it's staying locked?
It's easy to see if your converter is locked, if you give it just a little gas, let up, give it, let up and the rpm gauge doesn't move much, it's locked. If the rpms change a lot (like a couple of hundred) when you move the throttle, it's unlocked. You can practice with the OD turned off, the keeps the torque converter unlocked. You can also ride the brake slightly, the torque converter will not lock with the brake lights on.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,525 Posts
You can practice with the OD turned off, the keeps the torque converter unlocked.
Are you sure? I ask because if I turn the lockout on my RPMs jump up to about 1600 when in 3rd gear at 40, then if I turn it off they fall to 1200 again with only one noticeable action.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Are you sure? I ask because if I turn the lockout on my RPMs jump up to about 1600 when in 3rd gear at 40, then if I turn it off they fall to 1200 again with only one noticeable action.
I'm just going by how my 1995 acts, but you've got me curious and I'm going to check it again to be sure. Last time I checked (I hardly EVER use OD OFF down here in Florida flatlands) it acted like that.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
The TC will stay locked with the od cancel on; engine braking doesn't work without the TC locked.

My tune keeps mine locked unless the speed is below a certain point; it's amazing how much cooler that made my car run.

On the stock tune, tapping the brakes (activating the brake light circuit) will make it unlock for sure. That's the test for converter shudder...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im pretty sure the torque converter doesnt lock and it stays in third

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
The TC will stay locked with the od cancel on; engine braking doesn't work without the TC locked.

My tune keeps mine locked unless the speed is below a certain point; it's amazing how much cooler that made my car run.

On the stock tune, tapping the brakes (activating the brake light circuit) will make it unlock for sure. That's the test for converter shudder...
You must have a chip, because I just checked my 1995 Bird today AGAIN. With the OD OFF engaged, my torque converter WILL NOT lock. I checked it multiple times. My Bird is stock except I do have a 1994 Bird computer in it.

im pretty sure the torque converter doesnt lock and it stays in third
That's EXACTLY how mine acts, doesn't lock in 3rd with O/D OFF. It does lock in 3rd driving normal in drive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts