TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my transmission will not come out of overdrive. i push the button nothing happens so i thought that maybe the overdrive button was broke. so i replaced the sensor with the one from my 96 still nothing. and some times if your in first (manualy) it will shift into second by its self and will stay in second till you put it in drive. and this is under wot.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
I'd start with changing MLPS.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what does MLPS mean. dumb question i know

·
Registered
817 Posts
Manual Lever Position Sensor. Its located on the drivers side of the tranny. Could be misaligned. Trust me, these guys know what they're talking about.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so i read up about the MLPS and found out that its a little black sensor on the driver side, but how do i go about changing it, or seeing if its ok, and were do u buy it ? cant find it on Auto Zone any where.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Interesting enough my O/D button doesnt seem to work either, i push it and nothing happens at all...everyonce in a GREAT! while it will pop on when i push the button but i immediatly turn O/D back on just in case it stops working again...ive been meaning to look into this.

·
Registered
208 Posts

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
so i read up about the MLPS and found out that its a little black sensor on the driver side, but how do i go about changing it, or seeing if its ok, and were do u buy it ? cant find it on Auto Zone any where.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Neutral-Safety-Switch/1997-Ford-Thunderbird/_/N-j90giZ9cid6?counter=0&filterByKeyWord=neutral+safety+switch&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=202935_0_0_

If you don't want to order one online ask for duralast part number f430. Autozone calls it a neutral safety switch.

It has many names. MLPS, range sensor, neutral safety switch, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts