TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was refered to your forum by a Ford-Truck Enthusiast member. He says you guys are the sh**. Well I have a 96 Exploder v8, AWD, AODE/W Tran. I just put a second transmission into the vehicle and it won't stay in 3rd. When shifting from second to third you must use the colum shifter in (second to drive) and it goes into third for a second until you put accelerator pressure and it goes back into second. Also when the selector is in first it will start in first and shift to second. I have another v8 expl. and it will only stay in first when the selector is in first. I also got a p0707 code (Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Low). The tran shifts nicely into second from first but you really have to play with it to go into third where it does not stay for more than a few seconds. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
First of all, you have a 4R70W transmission. People call them aode's (thats something different) and even aode-W's (which is an accurate description, but thats another story). There were cars with AODE's, but only in 92-94 Crown Vics and 94-5 Mustangs.

The first thing to check is the MLPS (the dummy at autozone would tell you its a neutral safety switch) - as that's what the code you've got shows. Ive heard for our cars they make a nice one at NAPA for about $30 thats a lot cheaper than the $60-$100 Ford charges. Maybe the same applies to you.
The early ones in the cars up to 95 had problems with water leaking in and screwing up the sensor, this may be your root problem. If you've got a Ford manual you can check the resistances of the sensor at each position...

If that isn't it, I'd probably look at the VSS or OSS signals... but I think its the MLPS.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts