TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my fiancee's mustang is developing a transmission (torque converter, specifically) problem. The chrismas before last, her mother insisted that it be taken to one of the local garages. a month or two later, I was in NC and when I rode in it, I felt TC shudder. When I got back to NY, I asked the shop what fluid they used... thsy said "the standard Dextron III/Mercon". Uh-oh I said... I DOUBT it was Mercon V spec. Anyway, I changed it ASAP to MErcon V. Recently, she complained of poor fuel economy. I took it for a ride, and it feels like the TC isn't locking properly (I can feel a jerking/pulsating arout 35-40 mph under light accel). The Dextron III/Mercon had at least 5000 miles in the transmission. Could this have fried the TC?

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to describe it as well as I could...

Thanks

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Chances are the fluid didnt cause the problem, but it doesn't help it while it's in there either. What year mustang is this? If it's got a lot of miles on it, it is possible the TC is wearing out, but thats only speculation.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Silver95Bird said:
What year mustang is this?
oops... I forgot that part... it's a 2001 with just shy of 70k.

·
Registered
168 Posts
a jerking/pulsating arout 35-40 mph under light accel

my car is doing the same thing but i got a bird....

its not transmission i dont believe since i got a new tranny a few hundred miles ago

1 - 4 of 4 Posts