TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
could someone give me step by step instructions or an idea for me to drop my trans out? its on a 91 SC aod

·
Registered
519 Posts
hey im about to rip this trans out of a 94
the gastank, drive shaft and rear exhaust section is off now im at the rear trans mount which seems to be holding the cat section of the exhaust.
i loosened the bolts on the rear trans mount bracket and see the trans sagging (obviously the motor too). i tightened it back up.

My father cut one of his fingers lengthwise changing a transmission once and i am not trying to injure myself.

I have the POS scissor trans jack (harbor freight) and im just not sure where to position the trans jack.

Under the pan seems like my only place that the load would be evenly distributed but can the pan take the weight of the trans? I would have to guess not.

If anyone can help me out I would be most appreciative. and i am searching the forums looking.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I have the POS scissor trans jack (harbor freight) and im just not sure where to position the trans jack.

Under the pan seems like my only place that the load would be evenly distributed but can the pan take the weight of the trans? I would have to guess not.
Wow, that's quite the Thread Resurrection! lol

Your best bet here is to get the trans adapter plate on a hydraulic floor jack so that you can wrap the chains around the trans to secure it to the jack.

Sure, you could support the trans somehow from around the pan perimeter with a scissor jack, but as soon as you get the trans lowered, it will tip over and fall off whatever contraption you've made to hold it. Probably causing injury, probably wrecking something too.

And......you'll need to have the car high enough for all this to work and to get the trans out from under the car after it's down. Safely.

·
Registered
519 Posts
good tips, i know its front/top heavy and ive got a strap on the trans jack and i didnt make the trans jack, its store bought. if i use my floor jack on the bellhousing without straps and have the back strapped to that trans jack it should be relatively safe. the car is on jackstands, i know i have enough clearance to drop it.

thanks 94XX

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
grog6 i honestly never thought to use google to search tccoa.com but im gonna start doing that great tip. and im checking that writeup now.

all i have to do now is get the bolts out of the bellhousing and lower the jacks

and wow that is one in depth write up thanks alot

·
Registered
519 Posts
hey anyone out there Ive removed the starter and per those instructions it says remove 4 14mm bolts from the flexplate, im guessing that is the flywheel? Are those bolts accessed via the starter hole? I see some 14mm bolts on the 4 corners of the flywheel (that is the thing with teeth that the starter hooks to correct?) Im waiting for a friend to come over and hold this breaker bar on the crank pully so i can get those 4 14mm bolts out of the flywheel.

Am I on the right track anyone? thank you very much for the help.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Flex Plate

Hi

first it's NOT a flywheel! It's A flexplate. At least 2 person job.

The trany pan will hold the trany, if it's supported by the sides.
Place a board across it.

Hold the engine from the top, for support.

You probably will need to remove the jack to side the trany out.

:cool:

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I've used the pre 96/97 pan for install as well. Makes it easy.

·
Registered
519 Posts
well laugh if ya want, im doing this at my leisure
TC nuts are out,
I have all the easy to get to bell housing bolts out and im about to go lower the rear of the trans and get those last few pita bolts out of the bell housing and i should be done!

Thanks for all the help guys!

Accessing the bolts for the T/C is very easy with the exhaust out and driver's side dust cap off. i used a torque wrench with a 14mm shallow and 1/2->3/8 adapt on it to get the tc nuts off. That was my only real problem in this removal process. This seems like I will be doing all of my own tranny swaps from now on!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
well laugh if ya want, im doing this at my leisure
TC nuts are out,
I have all the easy to get to bell housing bolts out and im about to go lower the rear of the trans and get those last few pita bolts out of the bell housing and i should be done!

Thanks for all the help guys!

Accessing the bolts for the T/C is very easy with the exhaust out and driver's side dust cap off. i used a torque wrench with a 14mm shallow and 1/2->3/8 adapt on it to get the tc nuts off. That was my only real problem in this removal process. This seems like I will be doing all of my own tranny swaps from now on!
Sounds like you're in the process of getting the best teaching there is. :thumbsup:

We could tell you all day long how to do it ........but at the end of the day you won't really have learned much about it until you just get in there and do it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts