TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an educated guess at how much fixing a tranny would be? My car is slipping in 1st gear i believe. At WOT or close to it i have no power beyond 3000 rpm. The engine sounds fine and all. But it will hesitate to climb the RPM range and the Horsepower takes a dive. Im going to call a mechanic tomorrow but i didn't know if anyone would know something before i called. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Slipping in 1st gear means the forward clutch is toast. either the clutches are worn or the seal rings are leaking. It's likely the rings. Cheapest way to go (reliably) is to find a low mileage 98 MK8 transmission or 98+ Mustang GT/Crown Vic trans and swap it in. My article in the WIP forum has the wiring info. If you rebuild yours, add the mechanical diode and spiral lock snap ring or don't do it at all.
Edit: Make sure they replace the TC and use Mercon V. If that 94 TC is still original it's going to be toasted... may even be the root cause of the first problem, as that's been my experience. Adding a trans cooler would also be a great idea too.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Yeah I know.....my stance has always been to get the lowest mileage takeout you can find and when I called around the lowest mileage Marc VIII trans I could find was 70,000 miles; my 02 mustang trans has 5,000

·
Registered
443 Posts
Silver95Bird said:
Slipping in 1st gear means the forward clutch is toast. either the clutches are worn or the seal rings are leaking. It's likely the rings. Cheapest way to go (reliably) is to find a low mileage 98 MK8 transmission or 98+ Mustang GT/Crown Vic trans and swap it in. My article in the WIP forum has the wiring info. If you rebuild yours, add the mechanical diode and spiral lock snap ring or don't do it at all.
Edit: Make sure they replace the TC and use Mercon V. If that 94 TC is still original it's going to be toasted... may even be the root cause of the first problem, as that's been my experience. Adding a trans cooler would also be a great idea too.
In the tech articles, Mercon V is not reccomended for 94-95 models, right? I had MV in the tranny before last and it failed quickly after putting it in, like 3 months later.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Wrong. Merc V is specified for any 4R70W and even the older AOD's. I ran MercV in my origional 94 trans from 70,000 miles untils it blew at 235,000 ish

·
Registered
443 Posts
well, I guess the tech articles are wrong then, b/c it says that it can be used, but it is not recomended in the pre 96 b/c of the semi-synthetic can work past the seals. So if one items in the tech section is wrong, why should I believe any of them. They all could be wrong for all i know. This website is all I have when looking for mn12 info. If something is wrong, it needs to be corrected before it costs someone some serious cash. I asked my mecanic about it last week and he recommended put the correct fluid back in it. And this was at a Ford dealership.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Bradley Blaze said:
So if one items in the tech section is wrong, why should I believe any of them.
Because the correct info I posted came from the guy who designed the trans.

They all could be wrong for all i know. This website is all I have when looking for mn12 info. If something is wrong, it needs to be corrected before it costs someone some serious cash. [/B]
Your preaching to the choir on that one and many people have made recomended changes that never seem to appear. We started the work in progress forum to come up with good info for new articles but it never seems to make it across. Case in point I wrote a heatercore repair article 3 years ago and submitted it never made it into an article here but was put up onver on the MTC board. When MTC closed it's doors and merged with Modular Depot I ended up putting the artclke on my own web space. I am not complaining but I often wonder about the time lag. Bottom line I don't think Merc III is going to cause any damage but it isn't the best there is for this application....the same can't be said for the drill and hack you MAF article :rolleyes:

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Bradley Blaze said:

In the tech articles, Mercon V is not reccomended for 94-95 models, right? I had MV in the tranny before last and it failed quickly after putting it in, like 3 months later.
From TSB 98-8-7:

NOTE:
FLUIDS LABELED MERCON®V ARE RECOMMENDED FOR SERVICING 1992 AND BEYOND AODE/4R70W TRANSMISSIONS WHICH ORIGINALLY SPECIFIED MERCON®.

SERVICE FLUID RECOMMENDATIONS FOR ALL OTHER FORD TRANSMISSIONS AND/OR POWER STEERING REMAINS UNCHANGED.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I have a 95 trans with 65k on it that I would let you have cheap if you don't have a lot on money to spend. Worked great when removed just found a good deal on a modified trans, so I swapped out.

-Miller

·
Registered
443 Posts
I just went by what the dealer told me,and it also was what I found in the tech articles. I know what you mean about things moving slow around here. I have my trans rebuilt and back in the car now, but thanks for the offer. If my trans fails in the future, I want to convert to a manual trans.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts