TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i went through all 20 pages under 4R70W and it seems every thread ha ssome issues i got but not the same combination of issues...

96 Lx 4.6 124,000 miles (no known history of trans. service)

Car had the shudder from 3rd-4th 40-50mph and occasionally 2nd-3rd 30-40mph...
It kind of hops into third under any driving condition with some sort of rattling noise afterwards almost like it doesn't want to be in third but rather second...
And under speed when you accelerate harder (to downshift) it does it kind of hard and clunks...

my buddy thought it would be an idea to adjust the detent cable and put Dr. Tranny Shudder Fix in it which seems to be helping a bit the shudder calmed down a bit and moved to lower speeds of 30-40 and still kind of hops to third but only rattles like once afterwards but still downshifts hard....

but now when idling in drive (like in traffic) the transmission is like searching for gear it like clunks in and out and even before the additive and detent cable adjust the trans seems like it works to hard...and allso from reading am scared to flush the fluid as i was going to do that soon would hate to invest that just to have trans drop dead...

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I would like a detailed description of how the "detent cable" was adjusted being that there is not one on that car.

I would suspect the shudder to be either TC shudder or a low grade missfire.

As for the other complaints, I think I would look at the shudder and correct that first.

Darrin

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the bottom cable on the valve has like a boot on it with a clip around it that clips it to its mount it kind of looks like a detent cable maybe thats why when he moved the clip a couple notches it didn't do nothing...

and as for the shudder i dont want to throw money at the tranny just to have it go...maybe tomorrow i will rip the plugs out and take a look at them see if their bad...

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I think that messing with the cable might be at least part of why the car is having difficulty knowing what gear to be in. While it doesn't have a detent cable, it does have a shifter cable and an electronic sensor that tells the computer what gear has been selected. Messing with the shifter cable too much can affect both that sensor and the manual valve locations when a gear is selected.

The name of that sensor is the MLPS and you have to adjust that by aligning the marks on it with the transmission in neutral.

If the shifter cable is out of whack then the shifter won't feel right and the indicator won't be in the right position for the gear. The cable being only a little out of whack won't hurt anything except for the feel of the shifter and where the gear indicator position in the different gears.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There you go.

I would put in a reman torque converter though for sure. Those old TC's weren't the cream of the crop you know.

Darrin
i was planning on it but do they sell like a non-performance heavy duty torque converter cause i mean my car has some piggyback underdrive set(not my doing plan on going with some real ones) and track-lok but don't plan on needing a higher stall unless it would be better...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts