TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have intermittent problem with tranny slipping out of gear on my 94 v8 tbird which has 80k on the clock, tranny was flushed 4 k ago and filter was cleaned, however i had this prob before the flush as well so that didnt fix the problem. i just see the rpm increasing suddenly but it drops into gear again pretty fast, any one else had this prob or have any suggestions? thanks

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
What speed/gear is this in? Tell us a little bit more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, it happens usually in overdrive but to test it i switched off the overdrive and it also happens in third, speed wise it can happen from 30mph +, there doesnt seem to be a pattern of it happening with the car cold or warm. It is intermittent, and as per usual it wont happen when the guy from the tranny shop drives it. thanks

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Here are some things I will check:

1. Fluid level.
2. You can get a tranny shop to check the line and EPC pressures.
3. Valve body:
a) The EPC solenoid can be stuck or damaged.
b) The 1-2 accumulator, 2-3 backout valve, main regulator valve, overdrive servo regulator valve can be stuck or damaged and etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your reply J.Miller. fluid level is okay so i guess its off to the tranny shop again

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
The problem to me sounds more like its your MLPS, which is also referred to as the Neutral Safety Switch, an also called the Transmission range sensor.

You can replace this device yourself for around $65 or less, in 30 minutes.

The 94/95 Birds had a poor gasket design on the sensor, which allowed water to get in, and send false signals to the computer.

My 95 would slip out of 4th, into Neutral, then go back in to 4th, at random intervals.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Make sure its not something causing the TCC to release, like a faulty brake light switch or noisy TPS. Bad TPS can also cause line pressure to drop to its minimum, which may well cause severe slipping if under load.

A cranky PCM or a bad PCM ground could cause the same thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts