TCCoA Forums banner

Transmission Swap, Computer Question

542 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  mechman1984 
#1 ·
I plan to using a 1997 4.6 in a thunderbird build. I am coupling it with a t-45 or M5R2 if i can find the appropriate adapters, anyway my question is the 4.6 engine computer. According to my 1997 wiring diagram, it has connections for the A/T and I am wondering if it is going to throw a 'check engine' light if there is no A/T attatched.

I am looking for any experience with this, or even a list of error codes to see if there are any tranny-related codes - i guess that would answer it as well.

Also, where is the engine computer located in the 97 anyway?

#2 ·
your correct on the computer having a connection with stock trans (4R70W-it's electroncially shift by the comp); but i can't answer the codes question, but in my opinion it should not, a cel should only happen with emissions issues, and lacking a trans would not cause such a problem.

the eec is located behind the passenger side kick panel, it's a black box, you'll see that it's bolted to the chassis with a screw going thru the wiring harness.

i also don't know/heard of any adapters that would allow the m5R2 to bolt to a modular block, so good luck finding one, however the t-45 is the correct pattern.

#3 ·
You can get the stock computer to operate with a manual tranny with a SCT tune.

I know first hand that the computer does have a limited amount of error codes for the tranny. Mine flashed the O/D light when My last tranny started dieing.

MG

#5 ·
Superchips custum tuning. the guy you want to talk to is lonnie, he will burn you a chip to turn off the auto codes. There is a another way though. You could just pin the mlps in the neutral position and the computer will think that the trans is in neutral but the engine stradegy is the same. I know there are issues with this. the one i can remeber was that the car had a tendecey to stall every now and then, but i am not exactly sure. If anybody wants to chime in i am interested to know.

Will

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.