TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My transmission is starting to go as in 3rd gear my AOD in my 92 tbird sport revs up really fast past 2500 until it hits 4000 before catching on so I think the gear is shot. I found a 87 tbird 302 transmission for sale, would that fit in bird? If not what would I need to do to make it fit? And would it be as good as my AOD was? Any help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
5,718 Posts
Why not rebuild/get rebuilt the current AOD?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why not rebuild/get rebuilt the current AOD?
not sure if that would be better or cheaper than just getting another tranny, the one from an 87 tbird I found is 300$ so idk what would be better.

·
Super Moderator
5,718 Posts
Better would probably be to rebuild the current one.

Cheaper would be to swap.

But I don't know which transmission the 87 used.

Wikipedia says it was the first year for the AOD; so if it's the 4 speed AOD, you would probably be as good as you can putting a 34 year old transmission into your car.

(I would not; you can be too cheap on fixing things. But that's me. I'd rather watch some good videos and tackle the AOD myself.)

RwP

Edit: Can't count.

Reactions: JacobM

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,317 Posts
The AOD can be a bit tricky for a new comer to rebuilding trannys. The 87 should work fine in place of the 92 so long as you aren't changing anything internal. As long as the bellhousing matches you SHOULD be alright. I agree with Ralph overall though. Hopeully the trans you bought has been rebuilt somewhere over the last 34 years. But in the end it is a crapshoot.

·
Super Moderator
11,671 Posts
I've disassembled several 4r70w trannies, and every one of them had hard as a rock rubber seals.
Even the 02 models.
I wouldn't bother swapping a tranny without a rebuild.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Look at the bushing where the throttle valve cable joins the linkage set up near the throttle body. These bushings fail and cost me a tranny rebuild, the symptoms you describe are similar to what happened to me and I believe were the kiss of death to many an early 90's 'bird [mine was a '93]. After the rebuild and a new bushing, I used silicone grease on it yearly and the car kept on keeping on for several years until I sold the car last year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts