TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...

I came across this article, and would like to verify something the author wrote, since I was unable to locate that information in the service manuals I have access to.

The author states that, if one wants to measure the hottest fluid, the temperature sender for a transmission temperature gauge should be connected to the bottom line of the fluid lines that run to the radiator tank.

Installation of the sender sounds rather simple, but I would just like to verify that the bottom line will have the hottest fluid, i.e., it has left the transmission and is going towards the cooler.

Thanks!

--Pete

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
That would definitely be the hotest but I believe that fluid would be right when it exits the torqu converter and could be hotter than the fluid in the trans pan depending on how much it is locked etc. I run my sending unit in the return line after the internal and external cooler so I know how much heat has been removed and being sent back to the trans. I think the most accurate is in the pan itself.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Yes, the lower line is the fluid coming directly from the trans. I would measure it in that line for this reason: If I'm adding a guage, I want to know the hottest temperature of fluid in the trans. If someone installs a guage in the pan or in the return line (before or after aftermarket cooler), then the temperature it sends back is not actually how hot it is inside... and that could mislead someone thinking the temperatures are okay when they may actually be 20* higher. And 20* is a big difference as far as fluid life goes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts