TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just looking for what some typical temps for certain conditions for a transmission would be. these are all for a 2000 4r70w. wondering what temp it would normally operate under with a stock setup (cooler in radiator, stock trans pan) and with aftermarket coolers/trans pans. thanks, Dave

·
The Parts Guy
7,330 Posts
With a 28,000 GVW B&M cooler only (not run through a heat exchanger in a radiator), I usually see temps around 150 degrees when crusing around in 60-95 degree weather. It runs a little cooler and takes a bit longer to warm up in colder temperatures, but the car doesn't get driven in cold weather much.

-Rod

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
k, here in the 30-40 degree weather i'm seeing temps around 115-120 with a heat sink style cooler and a deep sump finned aluminum trans pan

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Yup, with a plate type cooler mine ran about 150 cruising, went up to 175-ish if I drove in summer stop and go traffic, and kissed the 185 mark if I really drove it hard. Would always cool back down to 180 right away though, and no I didn't have a t-stat in my cooler.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I put a B&M cooler and temp gauge on last winter and I never got the fluid temp above 100 (I also ran it through the radiator). Running with only the stock cooler my temp says about 140 if I cruise at about 65-70 for up to three hours. If you haul *** on the highway with a stock trans and TC expect an overheated transmission. If I have to drive for more than 4 hours I allways hook my trans cooler up. If you take your Bird on a road trip a trans cooler is a must.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Is there such a thing as it being too cool? Having the cooler in the radiator keeps it close to coolant temp and isn't that its designed operating range? If the heat is not correct will the properties of the fluid be off and mess things up?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Is there such a thing as it being too cool? Having the cooler in the radiator keeps it close to coolant temp and isn't that its designed operating range? If the heat is not correct will the properties of the fluid be off and mess things up?
Someone on a Lincoln board made the comment that the tranny will have problems shifting if the fluid does not get warm enough because the outside temp and the tranny cooler prevent the tranny from warming up.

I drove my Town Car when the temps were in the teens with a cooler and never had a lick of problems shifting or driving.

To make a long story short - "I don't think so Tim..."

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Actually the fluid can be too cold. Some transmissions even block the TC from lockup until the trans is up to temp. Best temperature range is 160-180°F. That reading is for the output to the cooler, if you have the sensor in the pan, you'd want more like 140-160°F

1 - 11 of 11 Posts