TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody I have a question I have a 94 thunderbird lx withr traction assistan las 2 weeks ago I have a check engine ligth with the code p0720 speed sensor so I replace both transmission sensor de shaft speed sensor and the other one with the sprocket the ligth turn off so now it make the sifts a litttle better but last weekend I feel a vibration just sudenly and stop I dnt feel it no more but I feel that like twice in a 10 mile driving and I have the chek engine on again I dnt know yet what it is but today in goin to autozone but any of this mean something for your experience well letme know and thanks.

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Your description sounds like torque converter shudder.
When was the fluid changed last?
JL

·
Registered
35 Posts
+1 drain the tc and refill it with merc v. Now could also be a good time to upgrade your converter.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The last time I changed the oil maybe it has 500 miles since the last I replace it how can fix the tc or what kind or where I can get a good and afordable converter.

·
3,232 Posts
The last time I changed the oil maybe it has 500 miles since the last I replace it and what kind or where I can get a good and afordable converter.
Who did the fluid change, and what kind of fluid was used?
JL

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I changed myself I think it was mercon I don't remember what kind but I ask the auto zone guy what kind and they toldme

·
3,232 Posts
I changed myself I think it was mercon I don't remember what kind but I ask the auto zone guy what kind and they toldme
That's likely your problem.
The 4R70W needs Mercon V. It has friction modifiers in the fluid to prevent torque converter shudder, whereas the Mercon fluid does not.
JL

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I still have a quarter left of the oil I'm goin to check but do you think is too late to make the changeif this is the case I think is atf I guess

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
If you didn't use Mercon V .... then you need to change the fluid, all or as near all of it as possible. Should take 12-13 qts. Means what's in the pan and draining the torque converter as well.

You need to be usiing Mercon V

Pull the filter and let it all drain even if it's a near new 500 mile filter. You can reuse if near new.

Good idea to add an auxilliary trans cooler .... but not a "have to".

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I check the ligth and was the egr valve is any possibility the thats the problem? Any way this weekend I'm going to replace the oil just to make sure.and in advance thanks to all of you guys for all the help.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Lubegard

You can also add Lubegard Mercon V Additive to your existing fluid. It contains all the need modifiers. We just did a 1996 Mercury Marquis today with it at the shop and it eliminated the shudder. I told my boss I would have preferred we just drain the tranny/torque converter and replace with straight Merc V fluid, but he said he's done this plenty of times in the past. Whatever.

It looks like this:

If you notice, the third line down on the bottle says "eliminates torque converter shudder"...

...and here's a link one place it's sold:
http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/Lubegard_Mervon_M_V_ATF_supplement_10oz_p/301-000062005.htm

·
Registered
35 Posts
do u use an entire bottle?

You can also add Lubegard Mercon V Additive to your existing fluid. It contains all the need modifiers. We just did a 1996 Mercury Marquis today with it at the shop and it eliminated the shudder. I told my boss I would have preferred we just drain the tranny/torque converter and replace with straight Merc V fluid, but he said he's done this plenty of times in the past. Whatever.

It looks like this:

If you notice, the third line down on the bottle says "eliminates torque converter shudder"...

...and here's a link one place it's sold:
http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/Lubegard_Mervon_M_V_ATF_supplement_10oz_p/301-000062005.htm

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
We use heartland T-3 where I work for mercon V vehicles. I prefer the real deal.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
If you read ont hat lubeguard product it says it can do up to 10quarts, our transmissions hold 12-13. I worked for a shop that used it and I find it cheaper to buy the right fluid than to buy that product however it will work. I suggest a bottle and a half. Around here I have a product from wolfshead oil that is really good, In RobertP's Neck of the woods he gets a product from Wynn's that is the best I have seen.
Alan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts