TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 95 mercury cougar with a 4.6 and it seems like it shifts from first okay and then second sometimes and then backs out of seconds then back in but in overdrive it will shift to third any ideas sometimes the overdrive light on the dash will flash. The car has been setting for a long time and supposedly it was fine when it was parked. Im not good with transmitions any ideas
thanks
cr

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,525 Posts
If you haven't yet, I would suggest you start by reading through Jerry's Thesis (I have it up on the Transmission section of the Technical Articles Tech Article: Ford OD Transmissions 101 - Jerry's mod) which will help you understand better some of the design challenges with your tramsission and how to overcome them.

In any case, the flashing overdrive light is indicative of some kind of electrical issue - your PCM is aware of the problem and has a stored code. Get the code read and that will help lead you to what the likely cause is much faster than trial-and-error or guesswork will.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just purchased a 95 xr7 cougar 4.6 and its been setting a while and it seem like when it shifts it shifts out of first into second hard and then when I tries to shift to third it wants to then drops out of second and back down to first but it goes into reverse great
does anyone have any ideas
thanks
cr

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
May work better to post the question in the 4R70W forum, instead of the AOD forum, since you have the 4R70W.

Edit: Forgot I'm a Mod, I'll move it to the 4R70W forum for you. EndEdit.

But I'll start with the generics.

1) When was the last fluid and filter change?
2) What does the fluid look/smell like?
3) What's the mileage on it?

I'd plan on a transmission rebuild or replacement soonest due to it being a 95 of uncertain care; also, since it's new, plan on a full suspension rebuild and full brakes around to keep it safe and fun to drive.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
You're going to need a new transmission; I'm amazed it lasted 25 years, but that's awesome.

I'd search here for how to upgrade your 95 transmission.

Unless you're paying a professional that's familiar with these cars, you need to know all the little things that cause problems.

You will want to buy an 02 transmission for a bunch of upgrades, and even then it's 18 years old, so a rebuild isn't a bad idea.

Search Car-part.com for a used tranny (4R70W) in your area, from a Gran Marquis; those aren't usually as beat on as a mustang one, lol.

You will have to rewire a harness and swap the lever in the side, but it's pretty much Jmodded from the start.

There is an issue with neutraling on the 3-4 shift under light throttle, but that's cured with a tune.

Properly built, an 02 tranny will last forever in these unless you're me. :)
(I've only broken one, and it wasn't its fault.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
May work better to post the question in the 4R70W forum, instead of the AOD forum, since you have the 4R70W.

Edit: Forgot I'm a Mod, I'll move it to the 4R70W forum for you. EndEdit.

But I'll start with the generics.

1) When was the last fluid and filter change?
2) What does the fluid look/smell like?
3) What's the mileage on it?

I'd plan on a transmission rebuild or replacement soonest due to it being a 95 of uncertain care; also, since it's new, plan on a full suspension rebuild and full brakes around to keep it safe and fun to drive.

RwP
thank you for moving it I didn't even notice I put it in the wrong place
cr

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Chad - Check a repair/maintenance manual and/or some youtube videos and the posts on the subject on this site. I think the only non-obvious issue (at least to me the first time I changed it) is make sure you get the rubber ring at the top of the old filter out before putting in the new filter. - Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts