1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
12,532 Posts
Yea, they're nice but it wouldn't be right to put them on the car without Trickflow heads ($2000 pr.) or a Trickflow intake ($800) to back it up.

·
Super Moderator
11,007 Posts
Cmon, the logo alone is good for 10hp...

:D

20 if you get a sticker with it, lol.

:cool:

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
I am interested in seeing if they are truly stock height and how the oil fill connection is located. For my 5.4L I had to take stock PI valve covers and cut off a few inches. I then added a plastic inner tube with JB Weld to hold it together to make the whole thing shorted. It leaks a little from time to time but has lasted nine (9) years...

My heads have the infamous corner gasket leak but I have to pull the engine to fix them. Saving up and minding my time for a set of heads that will wake up the old 5.4L... If the oil fill is located like a stock 97 4.6L thinderbird and it fits, that will be spark my interest... No custom work is cool... Oh, I wish I had some cash... Dang SC!!! :D

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I like them better than the sky high priced BBK valve covers.... But to save the money, I'd just paint my stock covers silver and spend the 200 on some performance parts.... not sure what though!

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
at least these have baffles and dont require special gaskets, don't get me wrong the bbk's are nice but at least these don't require modification along with the high price tag.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
I don't know... I mean if you think about it. How much does a gasket kit with the grommets cost? You're getting a complete setup. Covers, Hardware, Gaskets, and the PCV valve for under 200. And they are aluminum... I think it's reasonably priced... I'll still stick with the stock plastic ones though.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
cool little find for 2v 4.6

well i was browsing through summit's catalog while on the great porciline bowl andt stumbled upon this new item..trickflow now makes 2v aluminum valve covers for not only romeo but windsor heads as well they come with a bunch of goodies chrome bolts and chrome oil filler cap. here's the part numbers check em out they come in bare silver and black finishes.

romeo 2v 11 bolt
tfs-51800801 - silver powder coat finish
tfs-51811801 - black finish
tfs-5180B801 - bare no powder coating

windsor 2v 13/14 bolt
tfs-51811802 - silver finish
tfs-51811802 - black finish
tfs-5180B802 - bare no powder coating

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
well i was browsing through summit's catalog while on the great porciline bowl andt stumbled upon this new item..trickflow now makes 2v aluminum valve covers for not only romeo but windsor heads as well they come with a bunch of goodies chrome bolts and chrome oil filler cap. here's the part numbers check em out they come in bare silver and black finishes.

romeo 2v 11 bolt
tfs-51800801 - silver powder coat finish
tfs-51811801 - black finish
tfs-5180B801 - bare no powder coating

windsor 2v 13/14 bolt
tfs-51811802 - silver finish
tfs-51811802 - black finish
tfs-5180B802 - bare no powder coating
geez ya think??

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
my bad didnt see this thread actually...

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
Has anybody tried these valve covers? For certain reasons, I need to swap mine out and am looking at my options.

·
Super Moderator
11,007 Posts
i'll put those $200 into my titanium rod fund lol
Who makes Ti rods for a 4.6?

Although, the cap for one rod is probably $200... :)

I'd save the $ toward the actual TF heads; nothing says "Poser" like fancy valvecovers on a stock engine.

I'd much rather run stock covers on the real TF heads; YMMV.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
grog haha... Oscar sent me the link to those titanium rods... if you really want them you can have them... they are like 5k dollars a set if I remember.

And who revived this thread haha... Save the money and just paint the stock ones. If you need replacements goto a junkyard and get a new set haha. If you are into car shows and stuff then I guess you could go for it but only if it's for money prizes.

·
2,118 Posts
I revived this thread instead of starting a new one. I was looking to see if anybody tried these...

I have currently 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6L 2V valve covers on my Big-Bore. The oil fill on those is right in the way of the inlet tube for my SVO intake. I tried 3 different Ford parts places and was told the same from all 3. "The part for the car is not obsolete but there is no stock to be found." So new ones from Ford are hard to come by currently. There is no wreckers near me with any 4.6L 2V engines. I am not sure I want these from a wrecker anyway, if they have been exposed to the elements, the plastic ones tend to crack and warp, so no thanks... So what other choices do I have? These or BBK, BBK are known for their leaking problems and they require modification.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Who makes Ti rods for a 4.6?

Although, the cap for one rod is probably $200... :)

I'd save the $ toward the actual TF heads; nothing says "Poser" like fancy valvecovers on a stock engine.

I'd much rather run stock covers on the real TF heads; YMMV.
Crower will make you a set for ~$5500.....Cunnigham will make you a set for ~$8000.....so will Saenz, and Pauter (and likely Carrillo & Oliver), but I haven't priced those out yet....and to sweeten the deal, ProPower will make you a destroker billet crank with any reasonable throw for $2800....yes, I do homework for a reason ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,007 Posts
yes, I do homework for a reason ;)
Holy Sh*t! That seems pretty high, although the socket set I have at work is 22k... (Ti isn't magnetic)

I guess you get what you pay for, right? :)

I have to admit, you're the only person who will probably NEED them, lol.

So have you calculated the rpms where the pistons come off the rods you have?

Nothing like finding out how good the books were; testing beats simulation any day. :)

·
2,118 Posts
I ordered a set, so we will see what happens...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts