TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
so with those heads and a tune they gained 115 hp on a stock block 2v 4.6? if so i know what im buying.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Form the dyno it's looking like 70hp...

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
Those are some pretty decent gains. Hopefully these results are matched when they are released to the public.

·
Registered
680 Posts
so with those heads and a tune they gained 115 hp on a stock block 2v 4.6? if so i know what im buying.
Form the dyno it's looking like 70hp...
Depends on the 2V. Obviously more hp gain with going from 95 heads to the TF heads versus PI heads to the TF heads. Either way, it looks like good numbers and the Torque Curve carries on much longer it seems. There does seem like a minute loss in Torque at the low end (around the 3k mark) but I'd take that for the extra RPM. I wish it showed what the Torque was below the 3k mark as well, but oh well.

Stephen

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Oh hell yeah! I am now saving up for these heads. So by the time I buy the Tbird from my dad, I'll have these heads in the mail. :zbeer:
Then again, by the time that happens, I'll need a new short block:zapyth::bawling:

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
There does seem like a minute loss in Torque at the low end (around the 3k mark) but I'd take that for the extra RPM. I wish it showed what the Torque was below the 3k mark as well, but oh well.

Its a torque loss below 4000RPM and the TFS heads also had 5-6cc smaller combustion chambers upping the compression. How much is the intake and how much is the heads nobody knows at the moment.

IMHO - they will make awesome 7000+RPM heads but NA on the street shifting below 7000RPM you will probably be better off with PI heads. Jury is still out for P/A cars.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Its a torque loss below 4000RPM and the TFS heads also had 5-6cc smaller combustion chambers upping the compression. How much is the intake and how much is the heads nobody knows at the moment.

IMHO - they will make awesome 7000+RPM heads but NA on the street shifting below 7000RPM you will probably be better off with PI heads. Jury is still out for P/A cars.
They may be a very good choice on a street 5.4 though. Problem is all the stock 5.4 intakes are designed with lowed torque in mind, after all they are truck engines. Plus as far as I know Trick Flow only makes a matching intake for 4.6’s. Guess we’ll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
680 Posts

Yeah I just wanted to see how drastic the cutoff was. The extra torque in the high RPMs could be fun, but I agree with the PI for most people (including me if I didn't have a totaled car, lol).

GM, I think you are right. . . especially from those that tend to think the HP number = first down the quarter.

- Stephen

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
They may be a very good choice on a street 5.4 though. Problem is all the stock 5.4 intakes are designed with lowed torque in mind, after all they are truck engines. Plus as far as I know Trick Flow only makes a matching intake for 4.6’s. Guess we’ll have to wait and see.
Yeah, but you can get some adapters for a PI or Bullit intake though. I'm curious what a 5.4L would do with these heads, may change some of my opinions on a N/A 5.4 SOHC.

Pete

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
Here's a question for anyone who might know.. How do these compare to SVO heads?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
stock for stock, all signs point to Trickflow > SVO

ported, KDanner's SVOs flowed more than the Trickflow's in stock form, but the open combustion chamber left a lot of potential compression on the table....where as TFs have the smaller PI chamber volume, and an even smaller 38cc chamber optional

now that leaves the question: how would ported Trickflow's flow? well the numbers that made print in their introduction, are actually that of a "R head", which is a CNC version @ almost 260 CFM....KDanners ported SVOs flowed right around 250 CFM @ ~0.600 lift....so as you can see there are lots of variables, including bore size (3.552 would be different from the 0.020"-over 3.572" bore)....the and Im sure the R head they are working on will be revised from now until the day it gets released

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
Yeah, but you can get some adapters for a PI or Bullit intake though. I'm curious what a 5.4L would do with these heads, may change some of my opinions on a N/A 5.4 SOHC.

Pete
I think these will help the 5.4 2V crowd a lot but I don't think it will catch up to the potential of the 4.6 with the same heads. Not exactly apples to apples but the N/A 5.4 3V haven't caught the N/A 4.6 3V yet and ported 3V heads flow far better than the Trick Flow's do.

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
So the question is, what would these heads do with a smaller cam and how would this compare to good PI heads?

Mitch
Yeah,I'd like to see an equal test with a set of stock PI camshafts-not something that's probably optimized to show the most gain on a product.
JL

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I want to see the flow numbers with an intake manifold mounted like in the real world. My theory is getting over ~200CFM will only happen with a few intakes (Edelbrock, TFS, Logan sheetmetal, perhaps ported Bullitt/SVO) This denotes serious high RPM needed.

Flowing heads without an intake mounted only happens in the magazines and the internet for bragging rights. Most real head shops flow with the intake as you can outflow the intake manifold really fast with ports that are too large. At least the TFS is getting their flow numbers with an intake port area close to that of stock.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I'm quite sure Trickflow won't let some OEM heads to out do theirs. I can see them revising these heads in the future.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
what do you mean nick?? Those dyno's are from an engine dyno. With the intake and everything. one graph on there shows a stock 4.6L with the 38cc head, stage 1 cam, their upper plenum and 70mm throttle body. 396HP @6300RPM and like 364 ft lbs or something like that. that's pretty healthy. I will probably stick with my hitech cams to keep from having to spin 8k RPM to get power lol. You wanna buy your heads back :) Trickflows are coming to this house for my future blower.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
You are only looking at peak and not taking in all the info.

Adding the TFS heads and intake the motor lost 15ftlbs of torque at 4000RPM and all points below compared to stock "unported" PI heads and intake

AT 4500RPM they equaled

At 5000RPM they had gained 10ftlbs over stock unported heads and PI intake.

AT 6000RPM it was close to a 30RWHP gain over stock unported heads and PI intake.

Now compute the RPM shift points needed to keep your car in the range above 4500RPM, these are seriously high RPM heads. Shifting the 4R70W at even 7000RPM on the 1-2 you will still be near that 4000RPM loss.

Now lets look at another spec, stock unported PI heads *with a 43-44CC chamber* replaced by 38CC TFS heads. That 6CC of difference is near a 1 point increase in compression gain for the TFS heads. Imagine the same comparison above with the same compression, the torque losses will be greater and the HP gains will be less. And thats still comparing "unported" PI heads which flow nearly 80CFM less than the TFS.

Now ported PI heads flowing only 35CFM less and with a 030 decking will have about 39CC chambers and thats a test I want to see as that is closer to apples vs apples.

I will have both my heads and TFS heads so its not like I am against them. But the reality is if you don't have a blower and/or are planning to shift at 7000RPM minimum these are probably not the heads for you. Roots style blowers (basically no intake manifold) these will probably be the best heads available for the 2V. Centri blowers and turbos if doing these heads you also need their intake/Edelbrock/etc or you are wasting your time/money.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts