TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tire size: 225/60/16
Conditions: Feet of snow and slush to +90F temps with all points in between. Roads are horrible as anyone who has ever driven in Chicago knows.
Will not have a set of snow tires, no storage space for them.

I'm stuck between these two tires. The Goodyear seems to have better winter marks, but people either love or hate them. Common complaints are noise and many quality control issues. The Michelin seem to be a good all around tire with few negative comments, but I'm concerned about the winter traction in Chicago's weather.

I have Potenza G009's on the car now and really do not care for them. They are wearing wonderfully but the noise and lack of winter traction means they are getting tossed before winter, even with 6/32's left on them.

TripleTreds
MXV4

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I'm sure the TripleTred's aren't bad tires (Goodyear's quality seems MUCH improved with their latest generation of tires!), but the Michelins are a WAY better all-around tire. I had a set of MXV4 Plus tires on my previous car, a 2004 Mercury Sable LS, and while I usually ran Michelin Pilot Arctic Alpin PA2 tires (I think that was the model name; anyway, they were dedicated snow tires) on all 4 wheels during the winter, I ran the MXV4 Plus tires 1 or 2 winters and really had no snow traction problems.

I would definitely go with the Michelin tires.

Dennis

·
Registered
195 Posts
Where I work we carry both, and Ive had both on various cars over the years. The Michelins are overall a better tire in most areas.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Also check out General Altimax HP: VERY similar to GY TT and only 2nd to it, on tirerack's survey. Very affordable, too.
We have a set on my wife's Elantra and it drives in the rain as if on dry pavement - they look great, too...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts