TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Hmm...that would be ZERO. To the best of my knowledge nobody has done it. The 3v heads and accompanying technology are so radically different from the 2v that it's not even really worth doing. You'd have a MUCH easier time converting to the 4v Cobra heads plus you'd make more power.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not a direct bolt on? I thought there is no difference between our engine block and triton engine block?

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
kbayona said:
Not a direct bolt on? I thought there is no difference between our engine block and triton engine block?

meaning that you just dont swap the heads and be down with it. The 3valve has alot more stuff, its not the same motor, its not even bolted to the same transmission as ours. You will also need a different manifold and it more than likely wont clear the hood. What we are trying to tell you is, "It aint gon- work" easliy. It will more than likely take more money and effort than its worth.

joseph

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. Thanx for the info. Thought if I have a chance to pick up a set of used 3v heads for under $100 I probably would. :D

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
if you can you should, because we want to see pics, and you could sell them for alot more than $100.

it's unclear how much stuff would be needed, but the intake would be needed for sure, and probably some misc stuff too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, let's forget the misc stuff. Intakes are cheap. Perhaps it would need stuff related to timing chain, but that's not a big deal also. The most important thing is that they bolt up to our block, right? I could port and polish intake at home, and also do a valve job, since I have access to a machining shop. As long as it bolts up to the block the rest should be doable. Anyways, thanx for the info. I really did think that someone must have installed them by now.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
kbayona said:
Well, let's forget the misc stuff. Intakes are cheap.
Not sure how cheap an intake would be, that doesn't exist in production yet. A 5.4 3V truck intake isn't going to fit a 4.6 that has 3V heads bolted on, too wide. The first production 4.6 3V will be in the 05 Mustangs, when they finally arrive in a few months.

As the other guys have pointed out, bolting them on the motor is one thing, making them work is another thing altogether. ;)

cheers,
Ed N.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Its not exactly VTEC but similar,

VTEC has basically two sets of cams within the same set of cam, at higher rpms a system of oil pressure and passageways locks rockers together to give a different cam profile than would be seen at lower rpm.

The Triton 3V head just has a clutch and spring type mechanism that allows the cam itself to be retarded or advanced a certain set amount of timing.

With VTEC you basically get a better cam profile at higher rpm while the Ford head just adjusts timing of that cam to give better performance across the rpm band it needs.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Pooperscooper said:
I believe the 3 valve heads have a VTEC type system. Lots of electronics that have to be installed with it. Most people don't like wires.
basically, yeah, except the system in the 3v heads has ZERO electronics. It uses oil pressure to advance the cam timing. Some EEC tuning would fix the difference.

Ed made the point I was getting at, a 3v 4.6L intake hasn't been seen outside of ford. You'd also need valve covers, I doubt current (D)OHC cover would work.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Pooperscooper said:
Most people don't like wires.
Hey.. I like wires... I grafted a '96 EEC into my 95... and it works.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
GreenBird said:

basically, yeah, except the system in the 3v heads has ZERO electronics. It uses oil pressure to advance the cam timing. Some EEC tuning would fix the difference.

Ed made the point I was getting at, a 3v 4.6L intake hasn't been seen outside of ford. You'd also need valve covers, I doubt current (D)OHC cover would work.
You're right, the valve covers on a 3v are specific to that engine, no current modular valve covers will do. To do the swap you'd need, just for starters: heads, valve covers, intake manifold, fuel rail, exhaust manifolds (I'd guess anyways), front cover, timing stuff, likely a 3v computer (which would mean COP)...

All of these parts which aren't even on a production vehicle yet (for the most part, the heads/valve covers are but the other stuff isn't).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not so long ago I saw a set of 3v heads the guy was selling on eBay. At that time I didn't give it much thought. They were in $200 - $300 range, and not many people bid on them.

For the computer thought, there is "open source" fuel injection and ignition controllers, which can be customized, both the software and hardware.

http://picasso.org/mjlj/?q=
http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

I'll revisit 2v, 3v, and 4v question when it comes time to heads. Besides, there are some nice 5.4L engines on eBay for around 2 grand, and some V10s too for a little more.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts