TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My odometer isn't working on my 92 5.0. I know the mileage really doesn't matter at this point, but it's still handy for keeping up with oil changes, etc. Besides its nice weather, and it gives me an excuse to be outside. I don't really want to sink money into a new one, so I was wondering how I should go about looking for the problem. I know the gears sometimes go out, but I'm thinking its the wiring, because it had been parked for a couple of months, and I had been tinkering under the hood. The next time I drove it, the odom wasn't working. Could something have come disconnected under the hood? I've looked at the wiring diagrams in the Haynes manual, and there is no mention of odometers. What wires/plugs should I look for and where are they located? I pulled the instrument cluster out earlier today hoping I could locate the odom wire(s) but it didn't really tell me anything. Can someone point me in the right direction? thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right. That makes sense. One more question: Gears as in the dash, or gears as in the part that connects to the transmission?

·
Super Moderator
12,027 Posts
Dash gears.

They're expensive for two tiny pieces of plastic. Not sure about the cofiguration of the '92 instrument cluster but I bet it's basically the same.

There's a good how to repair it article at SCP this article is written for the '94 - '95 instrument cluster.

SCP sells the gears for $53 plus shipping.

You can also get them from www.odometergears.com

I've done two of these odo gear replacements. The hardest part is getting the speedometer needle off.

See THIS POST for some pictures of mine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts