TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i have my check engine light on and was assuming it was due to me gutting the precats and the rear o2 sensors were telling the ecu that the front was not doing its job. i took my car to autozone and they ran the diagnostic plug in and it came up with code "PO113" which has nothing to do with exhaust or o2...its Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor. they did not have one available for me to buy and replace but i really do not understand this one...i beleive the IAT is what is mounted under my k&n cone and has a red thermostat reader looking thingy that you can pull apart and there are clips and a plug looking piece on the top...like a [email protected] i bought one of these resistors on ebay that say they add hp but it gave me the light...if this is the problem do i have to find a new IAT and replace it? if so, is it just the part that plugs in you replace? also, should i still install the MIL eliminator i purchased for the rear o2 since my precats are gutted? my car feels like it has been running in safety mode (acceleration has gone down and car hesitates VERY bad from 1st-2nd mpg down too!) any help would be MUCH appriciated!!!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
First get rid of the resistor ... you can most probably find a tbird in a junkyard if you threw out the original one.

After replacing the the IAT pull fuse #15 in the junction box under the hood. This will reset your computer and should feel the power back.

If you what you can buy MIL eliminators for the rear O2 sensors or get a SCT chip and have them turn them off.

·
Registered
175 Posts
For the 9283452345240987th time, the PROPER way to reset the computer.

1. Pull fuse #15 in the underhood high-current fusebox
2. Attempt to start your car. It will not start if you have removed the correct fuse. Turn the engine over a few times to ensure you have reset the computer.
3. Replace fuse #15 in the fusebox
4. Attempt to start the car. This time, the car should start. Let it idle for about 5-10 minutes, and take it for a drive. The car will need about 100 miles worth of driving (given that there is an equal mix of stop-and-go and highway) to relearn the idle and correct the air/fuel mixture.

Why there are still people posting the incorrect procedure to reset the computer is beyond me. If you simply pull a fuse, there will obviously be no effect on a car that is not running.

-DG-

P.S.: Good luck.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i thought pulling the obd-ll fuse (10a type two down from the 5a) AND disconnecting the neg. post on battery for a while was the way to reset it? when i do that ce light goes away...for 15mins atleast. im getting a new iat sensor tomorrow but i have no idea how to replace this as the thing unplugs and i inserted the resistor into the main unit and not the part that just clips on to it (with the red thermo looking thing) so would i need to cut it at the two wires and rewire the thing? thanks for any help!

·
8,239 Posts
the sensor itself is not bad, i have never seen one go bad.

It sounds like you have a damaged wire going to the IAT sensor.

Check the voltages and replace the wiring if necessary.

Also get rid of that stupid resistor thing.

JH

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i never left the resistor in, removed it the day i put it in...so dont buy the new iat sensor? thats what i plugged the resistor in...thought i bent or maybe fried/shorted something. i have no idea on replacing the wiring...how would i do that and what would i need? (or just take it to a shop?) thanks

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
DGFourSixLX said:
For the 9283452345240987th time, the PROPER way to reset the computer.

1. Pull fuse #15 in the underhood high-current fusebox
2. Attempt to start your car. It will not start if you have removed the correct fuse. Turn the engine over a few times to ensure you have reset the computer.
3. Replace fuse #15 in the fusebox
4. Attempt to start the car. This time, the car should start. Let it idle for about 5-10 minutes, and take it for a drive. The car will need about 100 miles worth of driving (given that there is an equal mix of stop-and-go and highway) to relearn the idle and correct the air/fuel mixture.

Why there are still people posting the incorrect procedure to reset the computer is beyond me. If you simply pull a fuse, there will obviously be no effect on a car that is not running.

-DG-

P.S.: Good luck.
ACTUALLY ... this is only a shortcut for the proper way. The REAL proper way would be to use an NGS or WDS. This will allow you to keep your KAM, but in some cases it is necessary or you can reset your KAM manually. Clearing codes w/o resetting the KAM is feasible for many codes you can have stored in memory. Pulling fuse or battery power does both.

Thank you.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i ordered the iat sensor from a local shop...went to buy and it was just the clip on piece and not the actual iat...want this problem fixed so the car looks clean inside and out but it may cause the car to run bad maybe? anyone have any ideas on what i could do (would need instructions on someting like a rewire job)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts