TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sentinel Lights stay on in broad daylight. Can someone tell me if this means the photo cell is bad and if so what is the name of that part and a source? I have a 1995 T-Bird.

Thanks in advance,

Chapman

·
Registered
966 Posts
Yuck. Don't use them nasty GM words on our cars :tongue:

They're called autolamps on Ford vehicles. They don't need no fancy name, just name it what it does.

Photo cell might be bad, idk how to diagnose it. Just shut them off by moving the dial until it clicks. I believe you move it down.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yuck. Don't use them nasty GM words on our cars :tongue:

They're called autolamps on Ford vehicles. They don't need no fancy name, just name it what it does.

Photo cell might be bad, idk how to diagnose it. Just shut them off by moving the dial until it clicks. I believe you move it down.
Does anyone have a source and part number for the photo cell as it does not come up in Ford Parts?

Thanks in Advance,

Chapman

·
Super Moderator
5,128 Posts
Boneyard source.

RwP

·
̇
3,701 Posts
AutoLamp Sensor Adjustment

Your AutoLamp Sensor is probably fine..Maybe a little dirty, but probably fine..

Before I would go through the trouble of removing it from the dash..I would take a q-tip with some alcohol on it, and clean the "eye"..

It's probably covered in dust, and who knows what else..Therefore it thinks it's night outside, and keeping your lights on all the time..

After you've cleaned the "eye" of the sensor..If you find your lights still remain on during the day with AutoLamps turned on..
There is an adjustment you can make..

You have to remove the AutoLamp Sensor in order to make any adjustments to it though..
It's held down by 2 screws underneath the dash bezel on the passenger side of the dash..

You can see in this pic how the adjustment works:

It can be turned either way with a small screwdriver..

Now there is that rare chance you need to replace the AutoLamp Sensor because it doesn't work..

The bad news is the actual AutoLamp Sensor is obsolete, and is not available aftermarket..

The Ford Part Number for it is: (F4LY-13A018-A) or (F4LY13A018A)

You can find a used one in any 94-96 Lincoln Mark VIII..As well as any 94-97 Thunderbird/Cougar that came equipped with AutoLamps..

Have fun! :)

Rayo..

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your AutoLamp Sensor is probably fine..Maybe a little dirty, but probably fine..

Before I would go through the trouble of removing it from the dash..I would take a q-tip with some alcohol on it, and clean the "eye"..

It's probably covered in dust, and who knows what else..Therefore it thinks it's night outside, and keeping your lights on all the time..

After you've cleaned the "eye" of the sensor..If you find your lights still remain on during the day with AutoLamps turned on..
There is an adjustment you can make..

You have to remove the AutoLamp Sensor in order to make any adjustments to it though..
It's held down by 2 screws underneath the dash bezel on the drivers side of the dash..

You can see in this pic how the adjustment works:

It can be turned either way with a small screwdriver..

Now there is that rare chance you need to replace the AutoLamp Sensor because it doesn't work..

The bad news is the actual AutoLamp Sensor is obsolete, and is not available aftermarket..

The Ford Part Number for it is: (F4LY-13A018-A) or (F4LY13A018A)

You can find a used one in any 94-96 Lincoln Mark VIII..As well as any 94-97 Thunderbird/Cougar that came equipped with AutoLamps..

Have fun! :)

Rayo..

Thanks Rayo. I greatly appreciate the information. I will give it a go.

Thanks again,

Chapman

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,523 Posts
I don't have experience with the sensor adjustment - but it's most definitely on the passenger side (at least on the gen 2). :)

·
̇
3,701 Posts
I don't have experience with the sensor adjustment - but it's most definitely on the passenger side (at least on the gen 2). :)
Good catch Brandon.. ;)

On the 89-93 MN12 the AutoLamp Sensor is located on the top of the drivers side of the dash..Under the defrost grille..

It looks like they moved the AutoLamp Sensor to the passengers side of the dash on the 94-97 MN12..

Rayo..

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good catch Brandon.. ;)

On the 89-93 MN12 the AutoLamp Sensor is located on the top of the drivers side of the dash..Under the defrost grille..

It looks like they moved the AutoLamp Sensor to the passengers side of the dash on the 94-97 MN12..

Rayo..
Thanks Everyone..

Chapman

1 - 12 of 12 Posts