TCCoA Forums banner
761 - 775 of 775 Posts
The 5.0 "big bore" kit was relatively common in the past. Not as much lately, from what I've seen (here, anyway). This engine doesn't need more stroke, lol.

Getting a 4.6 to make power isn't necessarily hard, it's just not achievable using "bolt ons" like other designs that leave a lot of power on the table through such means.

Why do I never hear about boring out cylinders? It seems really difficult to get power out of this engine so far. Why haven't I heard of it?
As Brandon mentioned there is the 5.0 big bore kit but it’s very expensive and involved since the block needs to be resleeved, it creates more power potential since the larger bore unshrouds the valves but for the price tag you’re still only gaining .4 liters, enough to break the 300rwhp barrier many run into with 4.6 builds, but not by that much. Modulars have too narrow of bore spacing to get a really meaningful bore larger than 3.7”

Reserving cylinders gets really expensive, so the big bore kits are a high expense for what you get.
A stroker crank gets more cubes as well, but these engines have close piston skirt tolerances.

Making big power in these engines beyond the typical seems to require a power adder no matter what.

Reactions: CDsDontBurn
I bought this book a few years ago; it has all the combos, tested on the dyno.

There wasn't anything earth shattering.
Matt's car is about as good as it gets, without radical cams, which are expensive for 4V engines, or power adders.

With the remainder of the TruBendz pipe kit installed, it is somewhat quieter and a little less raspy. It does continue to have an overwhelming drone which I hate.

I think I booted it on the xpipe instead of the crossover muffler, the pipe has no reservoir, no place for a pressure differential to cancel the drone, whereas the central muffler does. The central muffler also gives an odd number of PD spots, naturally defeating the drone harmonics. The even number of PDs I have only exacerbated it. I hope a pair of mufflers cures it. It's pretty bad.

With the remainder of the TruBendz pipe kit installed, it is somewhat quieter and a little less raspy. It does continue to have an overwhelming drone which I hate.

I think I booted it on the xpipe instead of the crossover muffler, the pipe has no reservoir, no place for a pressure differential to cancel the drone, whereas the central muffler does. The central muffler also gives an odd number of PD spots, naturally defeating the drone harmonics. The even number of PDs I have only exacerbated it. I hope a pair of mufflers cures it. It's pretty bad.
A pair of rear mufflers should solve the drone.
I just installed the 2.5 inch trubendz kit with x pipe. I don't have any drone with stock cats and 2 rear mufflers. Mufflers are Borla xs series. Which I'm thrilled with btw.

I ended up re-using the 2 resonators as rear mufflers. They seem okay.

To eliminate drone, you need to extend the exhaust tips past the end of the bumper. Trapped sound under the car makes the drone.

Reactions: CDsDontBurn
Mine came out great. Very small modifications like adding cats and shortening one pipe for better clearances. My guy at the exhaust shop said it was a very nice kit to work with.

Chris,

Did the shop rework the pipe around the differential or have the pipes been updated from Trubendz?

Joe

Chris,

Did the shop rework the pipe around the differential or have the pipes been updated from Trubendz?

Joe
The "side exit" muffler configuration kit as shown in my posts on this thread are reworked to clear around the differential without issues.

There's also a lot more photos on my build thread.

I ordered another 2.5" set for the Red cougar; I got to ride in the Tbird today, and I love the sound.

Reactions: Zep5.0
761 - 775 of 775 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.