1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Wow, thats something else. Never even heard of "woodgas". But he's right, don't think a lot of folks would be interested in having that rig sticking out of their cars! (or chopping wood very often)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Neat idea, but even with gas at $4/gallon, is it work the time and effort to have to procure and cut all the wood? I mean, he says he uses 4" x 4" chunks. That's an awful lot of work for what doesn't seem to be a terribly efficient means of transportation.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
I think this man is above us in terms in intelligence, no offense to anyone here, I do love this board. But none of us have said this.

Said Spreadborough: “I just want to open people’s eyes. There’s other way to do this. We don’t have to be slaves to the oil companies.”

This is one smart man.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I don't meant to spark some whole debate, but I felt like I had to address this.

I think this man is above us in terms in intelligence, no offense to anyone here, I do love this board. But none of us have said this.

Said Spreadborough: “I just want to open people’s eyes. There’s other way to do this. We don’t have to be slaves to the oil companies.”

This is one smart man.
He's above us in intelligence because he built a woodgas generator? I've thought about something similar a bunch of times. I never knew how I'd go about building one, but I'm sure if I cared enough or was motivated enough or had the time to try such a thing, I could get it done eventually. It's not like what he's got is some ground-breaking concept - especially considering, in the same article:
Woodgas generators are not a new invention. They were common in Europe during World War II, Spreadborough said, when gasoline was scarce. His neighbor, Mildred Sittler, said she saw them in Japan when she and her late husband, Lloyd, were stationed there in 1949-51.
And like I said, while I appreciate the idea and the concept behind this woodgas truck of his, it's impractical. Who has the time to chop up sacks full of wood that'll last you a 30 mile commute? I'm not knocking the guy, I really do think it's neat what he's doing. But it's hardly something that's going to spark a revolution.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
no revolution but maybe he has the time and the will to do what other can't thats the point. He is not falling in line. Yes its not revolutionary but if you have the ideas then put them to work like he did. I have ideas and I'm giving up on easy street and I'm going to pursue them. So in effect I'll find the time because I'm not going to be working at a job that traps me into never being able to accomplish something like this, even though its a small leap of technology he still did it. How many of us have the time to do something like this???? Thats why he is smart not so much that he's Edison, but he stepped out of the comfortable zone into using his head. Please don't don't anyone get offended, this board is great, we all can do something like this, its just a matter of having our priorities strait. If you want to work for luxuries so you have no time to yourself thats ok by me but I plan to do the opposite. No luxuries for me means less work, means more time to myself. It seems to be everyone's problem that they don't have time for anything, I understand that and want to stop it before it starts ya know. It also appears chopping wood is not a problem for him lol.

I don't meant to spark some whole debate, but I felt like I had to address this.

He's above us in intelligence because he built a woodgas generator? I've thought about something similar a bunch of times. I never knew how I'd go about building one, but I'm sure if I cared enough or was motivated enough or had the time to try such a thing, I could get it done eventually. It's not like what he's got is some ground-breaking concept - especially considering, in the same article:

And like I said, while I appreciate the idea and the concept behind this woodgas truck of his, it's impractical. Who has the time to chop up sacks full of wood that'll last you a 30 mile commute? I'm not knocking the guy, I really do think it's neat what he's doing. But it's hardly something that's going to spark a revolution.

·
Registered
493 Posts
He's making syngas. They were common in World War II, sure - with the Nazis, who made gasoline and diesel from the syngas (with proper equipment, you can make any hydrocarbon from it) because the Allieds cut off their access to oil.

You can make it by partial combustion of just about anything - Crude oil, coal, wood, etc. I remember making syngas in middle school by heating a test tube with water and a piece of coal in it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts