TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back again about another exhuast question guys. I am going to get true dual for my 3.8 and the guy I took it to said he could do it for $425, He said he could split the Y pipe from the headers and then go from there, he will put flowmasters on it, 40's I think, this includes all of the pipes and stuff, no resonator though (which is what I don't want). If he messes with the CAT will it mess up the sensor inside and make my engine light come on?

Do you guys think its worth $425? I really need some good advice here, I am seriously going to get my car into something that will turn heads. I just need an expert oponion on my car since you guys obviously know more about the car then this guy. I'll be asking alot of more questions to come every month, Every month i'm going to get something done to the car:)

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
if that includes the price of the mufflers, its an OK price..

dont go from the y back..thats not true duals. Manifolds back. removing the 3rd cat wont have any effect on the emmissions and wont give you a CEL

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should I just get a high flow cat then? He said he will run two pipes from each header, true dual. But I don't want him to mess with the cat if the engine light will come on. If I replace the cat and buy 2 high flows will the light come on for removing them?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
If you keep all of the o2 sensors, you will be fine. you can run it from after the main cats on back and you'll be fine, or you could get high flows..jut leave the o2 sensors.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
As long as were on the subject. I was under my car recently and checked the exhaust system out. (Factory stock right now) Correct me if I am wrong on anything, as I am not sure what all the parts are! (I wish it were like the old days! pipes and mufflers) Anyway, there is one cat on each down-tube from the manifold, correct? And the down tubes both feed into what looks like another cat. From the third cat, one tube feeds into what resembles a small muffler (resonator?) then one pipe all the way back to a large resonator (muffler). What are all these parts really? and which ones are necessary to keep the feds happy? I'd like to get a simple dual exhaust system just for the sound, and get rid of the third cat.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
on the 90 your fine, its only a resonator at the back of the y, it wont trip any lights. on the 96 it has a resonator just after the y and then the muffler is all the way at the back.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
I have true dual exhaust on my car. I would put high flow cats on there for better back pressure. On a mostly stock 3.8 you'll need a good amount of back pressure as the engine doesn't really put out enough power to need a really free flowing exhaust. I have true duals on my car. I used 97 shorty headers and I ported the collector to 2.25" then had new downtubes made into 2 2.25" catco cats then an h-pipe (for sound) and then 2 glass packs, then true duals all the way out the back splitting before the rear diff. I think I'll be replacing the glasspacks with some kind of straight through design muffler sometime int he summer. But for now the glasspacks really don't sound too bad.

Just keep in mind you'll want to convert to MAF sensor system sometime in the future if you plan on making a head turning 3.8.

On a 90 you can remove the cats and do whatever you want with the exhaust as long as you make o2 bungs near the collector of the headers.

-Thomas

·
8,978 Posts

That's what my downtubes and cats look like in case you're wondering.

-Thomas

·
TCCoA Bachelor Club Pres.
1,267 Posts
RUB IT IN BASTARD, SO YOU GOT AN H-PIPE AND I DIDN'T, well glad you feel it was necessary for you to let all these wonderful people know and humiliate me!

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
92CougLS said:
RUB IT IN BASTARD, SO YOU GOT AN H-PIPE AND I DIDN'T, well glad you feel it was necessary for you to let all these wonderful people know and humiliate me!
aahahahahha :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

:ztoohot:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yeah Thomas How are you runnin true dual exhaust when you have an H pipe I was under the impression that true dual exhaust is one pipe for each side no connections between the two like mine I have no H or X pipe all the way back sounds great too

·
8,978 Posts
true duals are just two seperate pipes that run the length of the car. even with an x or h pipe it's still true dual. It's said that on 5.0's you MUST have an h or x pipe because it's not an even fire engine and it won't idle properly if both pipes aren't connected somewhere. But it's still true dual.
-Thomas

·
8,978 Posts
Forgot to add some things.

An h-pipe or x-pipe can only be used on true dual systems. Which implies that true duals are still true duals even with an h or x pipe.

And just to spite Kurt here's another picture :D

-Thomas

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Nice exhaust system Thomas, really! and I am envious! But what I really want to know is what all of the parts are on the current system so I know what to get rid of, and what to keep. I can't afford to replace any of the cats, the ones I have run fine. But it appears that there are three of them and that is at least one to many! Plus there is what appears to be a muffler under the middle of the car (forward of the gas tank) and another at the very end. Do I need both of these? I'd like to run true duals but it just isn't in the budget right now. I'd just like to get a nice sound out of the V-6. My plan now is to get rid of what appears to be a third cat, lose the muffler in the middle, split the exhaust before the rear end and put duals out the back (similar to a factory V-8 exhaust) with magna flows or something right at the end. This shouldn't hurt performance, and it should sound decent. To get all this done I need to know more than the exhaust builder thinks he knows, so when he tells me he can't do that, I can tell him he can.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Nice pic Thomas, I'd like to do something similar only with one 2.5" pipe where you have two running parallel. Using the stock downtubes and Cats.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Been looking at the pics again. Are those compression bends? I only ask cause in my small town there is no one who has a Mandrel bender. I asked a guy if he had a Mandrel bender (I was looking right at it, knowing it was a compression bender) and he hesitated and said "yea, it was a Mandrel bender". He didn't have a clue.

·
8,978 Posts
mandrel benders are 300,000 dollar machines and most exhaust shops do compression bends. You'd be hard pressed to find a shop with a mandrel bender. If the shop guy is saying it's a mandrel bender and it obviously looks like a compression bender I'd find a different place to do my exhaust.

As for parts of the exhaust, on an OBD II car like yours, traveler, you'll have no choice but to keep the stock cats. you have 4 o2 sensors. 2 for the operation of the engine, and 2 for the emissions control. You can buy MIL eliminators that delete your rear 02's and allow you to put on aftermarket cats or delete them completely without having to buy a computer chip. But if you're going to keep your stock cats anyway, just cut off past the front 2 cats and build your exhaust from there back. Have the shop weld in 2 o2 sensor bungs for the rear 02 sensors.

Yeah my exhaust is compression bent.

-Thomas

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Thanks. That answers most of my questions. Where are the second set of 02 sensors located?

·
8,978 Posts
Behind the cats and before the resonator.
-Thomas

1 - 20 of 37 Posts