TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from picking up my car at the muffler shop. Of course I had to drive 15 miles to make it the 6 blocks back to my daughters where I had waited out the morning. Maybe it is just that the duals freed up my other modifications but this 2.5" exhaust made a large difference, especially in 2nd and 3rd gear. Also, taking off from a light, a/c on, it very readily wants to break the tires. I am going to have to adjust (sure I will)! :D My exhaust man was correct. No drone with this combination. None! Thank you Rod for the recommendation on the 18" Magnaflow instead of the 14". Rick (exhaust man) told me he tries to sell customers with midmounts all the time on the longer mufflers, especially if straight throughs, specifically to quell the drone. He did turn the tailpipes outwards to deepen the tone further (very deep now) and prevent any harmonics. I will take his word for it. The sound to me is terrific.

This guy did a beautiful job for me! His attention to detail was awesome. He even painted the pipes black at the turns to the resonators after the axle so they dis-appear at a distance. He didn't say anything until I noticed and quickly offered to spray them silver if I wanted. Wouldn't think of it. I had given him freedom in final design and I love the results. It is a joy to find a real craftsman when it is something I can't do myself! If anybody in the TampaBay area is looking for a good man to do true duals pm me. I have found him.

Brad

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Awesome! any clips? How much was the total cost?
No clips yet. Took some pics with my phone camera but have to hook it up to the computer and see how they came out. I will get my son to do a clip with his camera. Of course he thinks it is too quiet! He has a '93 5.0 notchback with Flowmasters so tuff to compare. Interesting thing noted too, my temp guage is down a letter and this is the 1st hot day here. Rick (the exhaust man) told me the cats were not good. Considering it was driven by a man slowing with age till he stopped driving and then sat over 3 years I shouldn't be suprised.

Total Costs:

Magnaflow DI/DO 14468 Polished Stainless (18") $107.19
Magnaflow Reson 14416 ___"______"____(14") $ 47.16
Magnaflow Reson 14416 ___"______"____(14") $ 47.16
Custom 2.5" Pipes and Install _______________$400.00
Total Duals _____________________________ $601.51

JBA Ceramic Coated Stainless Headers _______$494.58
Earl's Header Gaskets ____________________$ 38.74
ARP Header Bolts (12 point) _______________ $ 25.84
Total System __________________________ $1160.67

I argued with myself over the expense vs. horsepower but the reality is if you don't put a good exhaust on you can't do anything else. If this wasn't a holiday weekend I would be installing the headers which should give me the final sound, no doubt a little more distinctive (at least according to Rick). If he hadn't gotten busy this afternoon he would have helped me put them on. He was that excited about the way it came out. He even threw in the flange connections (2) [gasket connection, no ball and socket, he didn't want the restriction] at the rear of the muffler for no charge. Love a man that enjoys his job!

Brad

ps. I had found 2 shops previous that had said they could do the true duals. One wanted $800, the other wanted $600. Of the probably 20 shops I went to that is all that said they could do it. It took 2 men 4 hours to do mine. They said now that they have it down it will not take as long.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Sounds like you found a shop that really prides them selves on what they do. Hard to find now in days. Most shops around here are in it for the money only and it shows.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Glad things worked out for ya. Im taking mine in on tues for true duals and i hope i have the same results! the local shop suggested i go with 2.25 pipe instead of 2.5 though. based on the mods i have on the way, 2.5 would be too big. does this sound legit. I have a sct programmed by lonnie, 80mm maf, 70mm throttle body, colder plugs and t-stat.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Sounds like you found a shop that really prides them selves on what they do. Hard to find now in days. Most shops around here are in it for the money only and it shows.

I agree with you there. Places area ll around here that charge you an arm and a leg for crap work and cheap exhausts. All about making that money I guess. Who cares what the customer wants.:confused:

Cant wait to hear it tho. My exhaust is cut off at the doors kinda and Flowmaster 40 series. Love it!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Glad things worked out for ya. Im taking mine in on tues for true duals and i hope i have the same results! the local shop suggested i go with 2.25 pipe instead of 2.5 though. based on the mods i have on the way, 2.5 would be too big. does this sound legit. I have a sct programmed by lonnie, 80mm maf, 70mm throttle body, colder plugs and t-stat.
Absolutely not. It would be much simpler for the exhaust shop though! The fit with 2.5" is tight and the pipes need to sleep together perfectly. Takes a skilled man on the bending machine. The man who acutually did the bending on mine said "I measure, I look, I feel, I bend." It is a skill. Did you buy your own mufflers? That forces the issue. The shop I went to handles Flowmaster and Dynomax. He is now going to take on handling Magnaflow. He loved the sound, especially when I did a burnout past the shop 2 hours later. :D If they are selling you "in stock" mufflers it will be 2.25". Stick to your guns. This has taken me months. JMHO

Brad

·
Listening on 141.850 mHz!
829 Posts
Hey Brad,

Glad to hear of your true duals! I'm waiting for some extra cash to free up to be able to do mine, but I'm going to supply 2 Magnaflow high-flow cats and the mid-mount muffler, Magnaflow #14835. I was thinking of going with the 14" dual in/dual out with 2.25 on each end. The muffler shop I'm wanting to have it done at said he wants to give me 2.25 pipes instead of 2.5 due to clearance and size issues. The guy quoted me $350 ~ $400 for pipes, bending, welding/installation. He also said it would be a good 4 hour job. I'm also thinking of going with the straight, angled tailpipes (yes, like a Mustang) instead of turn-downs.

Does your guy have any opinion on the 2.5 over the 2.25 size? I did see what you wrote about it, but I want to believe what the guy here told me.

I'd like to hear your setup as well, please post clips when you can!

AlpineBird97, if you're still following this thread, I'm in Michigan also (from N.J. but want to go to Florida!), where in the state are you and what shop are you planning to have this done? I'm in Westland and the shop is in Wayne.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hey Brad,

Glad to hear of your true duals! I'm waiting for some extra cash to free up to be able to do mine, but I'm going to supply 2 Magnaflow high-flow cats and the mid-mount muffler, Magnaflow #14835. I was thinking of going with the 14" dual in/dual out with 2.25 on each end. The muffler shop I'm wanting to have it done at said he wants to give me 2.25 pipes instead of 2.5 due to clearance and size issues. The guy quoted me $350 ~ $400 for pipes, bending, welding/installation. He also said it would be a good 4 hour job. I'm also thinking of going with the straight, angled tailpipes (yes, like a Mustang) instead of turn-downs.

Does your guy have any opinion on the 2.5 over the 2.25 size? I did see what you wrote about it, but I want to believe what the guy here told me.

I'd like to hear your setup as well, please post clips when you can!

AlpineBird97, if you're still following this thread, I'm in Michigan also (from N.J. but want to go to Florida!), where in the state are you and what shop are you planning to have this done? I'm in Westland and the shop is in Wayne.

Thanks!!
Sorry, no sound video yet. Not even sure how to post. I am installing the JBA's next weekend. Took this weekend and just partied. Nice. My car to me is quiet. Nice deep sound, no popping when backing off, no drone, just nice. After the burnout fest at my nephews today (against my son's and nephews 5.0 Mustangs, both flowmaster setups, [mine is the only one that melted the ashpalt]) it was voted mine sounds the best (by mostly old farts who ran pretty hot cars years ago). Of course 30's and downs felt different (their Camry's and such just weren't up for the show though a little Altima (16 year old) did darn good (now know brakes were shot). :zbash: The best description I got of mine was it sounded like his brothers old 65 SS396 Impala. I remember that car well and I am pleased. Tailpipe direction and placement makes a huge difference according to Rick (my exhaust man). He took my description of sound and 45*'d the tips to split the sound and stop harmonics. I will take his word for it.

There is a major difference between yours and mine. Your cats. I would start with no resonators and tailpipes to your choice of style. Mine has no cats. As I said, mine is quiet relative to the Mustgang Flowmaster sound. Yours, with the cats on a stock motor may be too quiet with the resonators. Easy and cheap to add resonators later if too loud. Don't know about the resonance (drone) though. Rick felt the short muffler (14") is the "major" source of resonance (drone). Face it, once you get the pipes bent, the rest is adjustable. Mine sounds perfect, "to me", maybe not you.

As to pipe size, if bigger costs little more, buy it. You will not lose power with stock cam timing events. You will gain depth of sound. Performance cams that need back pressure to get to perform are wrong for your car. Get the 2.5's.

Brad

ps. born in Livonia, family in Westland, Dearborn, Romulus, Jackson, Irish Hills, et., etc. Small world!

pss. There is lot's of room for 2.5's. Just intimidating when 1st looking at it according to Rick. He said with some KY he can get 3's through there.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Brad where's this Exhaust shop at? I'm going to be getting mine done pretty soon here.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brad where's this Exhaust shop at? I'm going to be getting mine done pretty soon here.
Please pm with a phone #. I'll be happy to tell you! He is referal only.

Brad

·
829 Posts
Thanks Brad!

I have 3 cats on there right now. The 2 off the manifolds, then when it Y's down to a single pipe there's one right there. I'm going to ditch the 3rd and place the Magnaflow there. The 2 high-flow cats will replace the current stock cats. I'm currently throwing a Service Engine Soon light and the code is for "catalytic out of threshold" or something like that. The light came on about 2 years ago. Every time I go to clear it the light comes back on with the same code. Guess it's time to get it taken care of. I would just eliminate the cats altogether but I did that on my '88 Thunderbird with the 5.0 and I got gas fumes galore outside and inside and I don't want to repeat that escapade. The shop doesn't want to ditch the cats either, but if I bring him replacement cats then he'll put them on for me, maintaining the 4 O2 sensors.

I thought about straight pipe leading into Flowmasters but then I read about drone and popping. I don't want any of that, but I want more flow and some sound when I accelerate. I don't care what it does at idle, I'm guessing the Magnaflow setup I want should be mild. I still have the original factory exhaust on it and it just turned 134,000 miles yesterday.

I'm originally from central New Jersey and I've been in the Canton/Westland/Plymouth area since 1986. I am looking to move to Florida but I need to find a job there first. I'll take your advice about the 2.5s and see what the guy at the shop says when I'm ready to get this done.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
601 Posts
I went and listened to the exhaust today. It sounds real nice. Pretty much exactly how I want mine.

·
Registered
663 Posts
What? No pics or sound clips yet?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What? No pics or sound clips yet?
The headers go on this weekend. The only pics that came out are of the exterior. I will get good shots underneath and do an inside video. Hope all to be done this weekend. It is quiet with the resonators. More of a factory muscle sound. I had to get back to trading which leaves me sleeping evenings when my son is available for sound shots.

Brad

·
Registered
212 Posts
Take pics! Email 'em if you cant post...

When its on the hoist, take lots of pics for us! If you can't figure out how to post, email 'em to me/us!

Thanks!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just an update. No hoist! Jackstands and a crappy dolly. JBA's on, what a *****. My brother is a "fabricator extrordinair". He completely rebent the dipstick tube and fabricated and tig welded a support for it. No way in h... that tube would work. It originally came up between #7 and #8. It now comes up between #5 & #6. If what you buy claims "stock replacement" don't believe it. Way too tired now. Got lots of pictures, just don't know how good yet!

Later
Brad

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went and listened to the exhaust today. It sounds real nice. Pretty much exactly how I want mine.
Except just a tad to quiet, right? :rofl:

Brad

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Pics and Sound!

Ok guys, here are the pictures of the exhaust system with a sound file. I have no pictures of the rear behind the differential. Never got to that end this weekend. Reality is, the rear is your choice. I put in Magnaflow 14416 resonators and turned the tips out 45*. RaceCougar upped to 3" (no resonators) and angled out (he picked the midmount muffler, thank him). Know of another similar with Borla's and another with Flow's on the tail. You could put another "system" break at the differential and have multiple systems to fit your "feelings" for the evening like Jay Leno. Like the song says, "Express Youself"! Just call your full time mechanic and say ummmmmmmm I think the warlocks fit my mood tonight. See you in an hour. Exaggeration? Of course. Could you change the sound that quick, absolutely! With a system like this though, changing sound desires can be accomadated with little cost. Aluminized pipe, stainless (lifetime guaranteed) midmount, the rest you can play with. Have fun! ...my photos... (suggest you download the video and play it in Window Media with the volume cranked)

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb197/Bradone/93 TBird True Duals/

I will update the album with pictures of the system behind the differntial the next time I lay my cold non bony a.. on that end of the car.

Brad

·
829 Posts
Thanks for the pics and the video clip!

Nice sound to it!

Have you driven it on the freeway yet, and is there a drone to it?

Thanks again!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts