TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just figured I'd post up a couple pics of some recent work. I'll let the pictures tell the tale.

Muffler removed:

Muffler re-worked for new system:

Close up of welds (I didn't do these; it's one of my friends)

New cats/pipes on car:

I ran out of daylight for pictures, but it is completed. I will post up finals with the rear section in from under the car and outside the car. The pipes terminate at the front of the rear wheel below the ground effects. It's got just a touch of drone around town but sounds great on the highway and opened up. The system is all 2.25, Magnaflow hi-flow cats (front 2 only), Magnaflow DIDO muffler, Flow-Tech header flanges and ball flanges, and chrome tips (may get smaller tips for ground clearance). This system can be done easily in a driveway if you have welding skills. PM me if you'd like more details, etc. on the install.

·
Registered
799 Posts
looks good man.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Looks like your bud just tack welded it all the way around .. is your welder too hot for these pipes ?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Pictures of the tips and exit location:

Here's a couple more pics of the tips and exit. The chrome tips sit pretty close to the ground; I have to get a good test drive in on this before I call it good. I'm a bit worried about clearance, especially if I lower the car. So far, there's been no scraping..... Thanks for the replies and opinions; SCTBird, there was an issue with the welder's wire feed and those welds were not yet cleaned up when the pictures were taken. You've got a good eye to catch that; seems like you might have been there a time or two before! As each part was done, we had to fit it to complete the next part (that's when the pictures were taken). If the system proves good, it will come off and get a good clean up and some hi-temp paint as well as a couple of mandrel bent 45's to replace the Autozone ones before going back on. I didn't intend on changing it up quite so soon; this started by putting new cats and O2's on when I noticed some damage to one of the old pipes. We had to get the parts off the shelf at the last minute and figured it would be a good testing opportunity.

Muffler to tip:

Tip at exit:

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I think you will have a small clearance issue on steep inclines. You might not want to lower it at all.
Welds look fine, I was just wondering why it was tacked all the way around.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I drove the car around a bit this weekend; SCT, you're dead on; steep inclines do not get along with this set up at all LOL! I really like the sound of it, but I will probably end up doing something different with it.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I had built something similar a few years back .. except I had 2 mufflers under the car. It was lowered 2", and when I pulled it out of the garage, the mufflers touched ground very quickly. So I threw some stock SC springs on it instead, and it was driveable, but still scraped every once and a while.
I was going to re-work it, then plans changed and I ended up getting rid of the 4.6 PI for a DOHC complete with a LSC dual exhaust .. made things much easier. :D

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've actually got another idea to try now, but I'm going to have to give up the side exits to do it. My real goal here is to use off the shelf parts from common sources to help people get this done without having find a good shop. I've already spent $400 on a custom cat back that I still have, but it's only 2.25 and I like the sound on 2.5's. The way it looks, I can bring in true mandrel bent 2.5's from the end of the front 2 cats to the rear for around $200. If it works, I'll post up step by step with pictures and part numbers.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've actually got another idea to try now, but I'm going to have to give up the side exits to do it. My real goal here is to use off the shelf parts from common sources to help people get this done without having find a good shop. I've already spent $400 on a custom cat back that I still have, but it's only 2.25 and I like the sound on 2.5's. The way it looks, I can bring in true mandrel bent 2.5's from the end of the front 2 cats to the rear for around $200. If it works, I'll post up step by step with pictures and part numbers.
SignofTheCat94,

I was just wondering if you have figured out anything else with that off the shelf plan. I have been watching to see what you have found out about it.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found some mandrel bent pipes at Summit (flowmaster 2.5's), but they want $120 plus shipping for that set. At that rate, it's better to go off the e-bay store in the thread "mandrel bent exhaust". $120 gets you all the way back from the center. The only other thing I found out is that with 2.5" and stock suspension, you're pretty much fine with the tips coming out by the rear wheel. I had to get rid of the truck tips from mine as they do scrape on any bumpy road. I think I'm just going to go with the ebay pipes to the rear. I'm playing with exit locations and tip styles now LOL! I think I change my exhaust more that Phatbird changes his rims!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts