TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,025 Posts
Not really - depending on how you drive. A replacement should be easy enough to find.

They do add structural rigidity to the car but if you're daily driving it the stresses aren't that great on the uni-body.

Find one at a bone yard and replace it.

·
Super Moderator
7,516 Posts
I've never noticed a difference in handling or ride or anything whether they are in or out, however I have broken 2 of them, one while mid-corner and I heard it pop, so they are definitely seeing some load.

·
Super Moderator
10,590 Posts
I had a broken V-brace when I removed it to replace it with a set of L-braces; It could have been broken when I got the car, IDK.

It has l-braces and one of racecougar's braces now.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
is it bad not to have that "V" shaped trunk brace? when i purchased my car.. for some reason, it wasn't there.
If it bothers you I have one laying around that you could have.

·
The Parts Guy
7,307 Posts
...however I have broken 2 of them, one while mid-corner and I heard it pop, so they are definitely seeing some load.
Ditto. I broke one in my old '89 LS, and one in my '94 Splitport LX. The XR7 has a V-brace made from 1"x1" tubing.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I would think they have some benefit, or they wouldn't break. I even added the L-brace to the V-brace.

With all the JL braces, my uni-body is also much stiffer than stock.

So much so, I had to be careful when crossing those deep median turnarounds in Florida or I could get one rear wheel off the ground unless I took it a shallow angle. That never happened before the bracing.

I would brace these long uni-bodies as much as possible. Make a brace like Rod did.

·
The Parts Guy
7,307 Posts
So much so, I had to be careful when crossing those deep median turnarounds in Florida or I could get one rear wheel off the ground unless I took it a shallow angle. That never happened before the bracing.
:uppoint: You can ask the guys that went on the Hot Rod Power Tour last year what happened when I tried to enter a church parking lot in Champaign, IL...the car was on two wheels for a bit. :D

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would think they have some benefit, or they wouldn't break. I even added the L-brace to the V-brace.

With all the JL braces, my uni-body is also much stiffer than stock.

I would brace these long uni-bodies as much as possible. Make a brace like Rod did.

where did you get that "L" brace?

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts