TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Try a mister attachment. Run a time lapse camera with a light on whiel it rains in your trunk.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
maybe leaking from the back windshield? Keep at it, I was looking for where the leak in my sunroof was for weeks, it was the rear windshield...

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
The common culprit is the panel between the trunklid and rear window, the seams where it meets the quarter panels can leak if the factory seam sealer breaks down.
That, I think, is exactly where mine has a light leak. If it rains for a day or 2 I will get water in the trunk. I saw the seam sealer lifting so I have to get in there to get it out and replace it.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Any pictures of exactly where those seams are? Are they the really thin seams parallel to the quarter panels that lead into the trunk jams?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Any pictures of exactly where those seams are? Are they the really thin seams parallel to the quarter panels that lead into the trunk jams?
If someone doesnt get it before me I'll snap a pic off tomorrow. I will be out there washing it tomorrow to get it ready to get back on the road anyway :D

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Alright, there doesn't seem to be a collective thread on the causes of our trunk leaks, and ways to prevent/ fix them altogether. A couple years ago my Cougar was rear ended by a pickup truck and it was fixed up pretty well. The only issue is I have some leaking up near where the trunk lid support arms attach to the body of the car. I think that the rear window seal is cracked and leaking, or maybe some body seams I'm not seeing. My trunk seals look fine to me, they are still supple and have no cracks or splits, so I don't think that's an issue.

If you have trunk leaks or any information to help fix them, feel free to post your heart out in here! :)
I used to work in a Toyota Manufacturing plant .. on the Body sealer line in the Passenger paint department, applying seam sealer and skiving corners.

Any hole ( we called them Pinholes because thats how small they usually were ) would cause a leak and flood the vehicle cabin - the plant simulated monsoon conditions in a special water booth to test for water leaks.

So .. typically, you'll be looking for a very small leak, or a crack in a seam where the seam sealer is applied - they didnt put very much on these Thunderbirds, they were brushed on, so If they didnt push it up into the seam, it could seperate later on down the road and cause leaks .. if you want to repair this you will need to remove the original sealer and re-apply it to the seam.

If your vehicle was previously repaired from rear end damage, it is possible that the seam may have been broken. If the body shop did not replace an entire metal panel, they would not repair any seams that could have been affected.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
The same seam leaked on my cougar. I scrapped out most of the sealer and pumped in some clear RTV. It fixed the leak but it was to late and the panel started to rot anyway.

·
The Parts Guy
7,267 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
On my tbird here's where the leak is coming from .....

You can see the side closest to the fender the sealer is lifting. Pretty much all around it has lifted. It's not a bad leak, but if you get enough rain it will leak. It was worse when the leaves fell clogging up that area with tree gunk cause it held the moisture there instead of letting it drain out.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Mine leaked at the tail lights. it would seep in and run under the carpet and fill up the spare tire compartment. Drove me insane trying to find for a long time.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Mine leaked at the same spot though on the passenger's side as well. The panel was replaced in its life due to a family member's accident, but I had the trunk lifter torsion rod go out.

The newer one that went in increased the stress on the seam sealer and the water came in and filled up the spare tire well as well.

I've temporarily patched it with metal adhering silcone sealant until I get the bodywork done.

Was a bugger to find, so this thread is valuable in many senses to those that get this issue. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Checked these seams on my cougar, and they are indead split, very very small cracks but I guess water doesn't need much room to get in. I think I'll have to use a metal pick and just pull the old sealer out and use RTV as some of you suggested. We will see what happens I suppose!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine was also hit in the rear by an F-250. I straigntned the metal that holds the trunk seal but never thought to check the tail light seal. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Anyone ever have leaks where the spoiler bolts on? On a 95 T-Bird, there appears to be 4 studs holding it on (based on # of pieces of black elec tape patches covering the holes below!)

Thinking about removing it and adding clear silicone under the old seals, unless you can get new seals?

Al

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
For what it's worth, mine has started leaking again. The last time it happened, I cleaned out the quarter-to-trunk-panel seams and filled them with caulk. I then installed a rear strut tower brace from Rod (which is great, by the way) to help remove some of the body flex.

Once the temperature goes back up, I will clean out those seams and seal 'em up again. I also need to grind out the rockers and POR-15 the hell out of the rust.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts