TCCoA Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Registered
598 Posts
What is the maxium weight limit on these struts? I want to put a pair on mine but i'm a little concerned because I have a spoiler and dynamat on my trunk lid which adds roughly 20 or so pounds to the already existing weigh of just the trunk. I need to know so if I need to then I can get one's that can stand more weight.

· Registered
792 Posts
Rolling-Thunder said:
I think the torsion bar could be removed, but that is just my opinion.

I think two lift struts, plus the torsion bar, on a trunk without the spoiler, would be too much lift force. Best thing is to try it. You can always send back the leftover parts.
For what its worth. The two life struts and the torsion bar is too much for a trunk with the spoiler as well.

But I do have one question. There are two notches in the bracket on the ends for the torsion bar. If I slide them into the other notch with it create more or less tension? Does anyone know?

· Premium Member
3,387 Posts
According to your other post, you aren't using the lift strut that I specified.

Mine worked fine with one strut on a stock trunk lid.

When I added the 96 Spoiler, it was not enough to lift it.

With the second lift strut, it open's just fine, and does not 'slam' upwards.

· Registered
236 Posts
good article. i hate the way the trunk closes.

Alan

· Premium Member
1,333 Posts
Digging up an old one. I think this post is a good candidate for the Tech Articles. The one that was written by the old MN12performance site was really vague and didn't explain parts well or have good pics. I think this is the way to go if you want the lifts.

One thing I would add, if you get aftermarket lifts instead of F4ZZ-63406A10-B like I did it doesnt come with the ball stud that goes into the coupler. You can order those from McMaster also:

10mm ball stud: 9512K73 $1.03 ea.

· Registered
6,521 Posts
Digging up an old one. I think this post is a good candidate for the Tech Articles. The one that was written by the old MN12performance site was really vague and didn't explain parts well or have good pics. I think this is the way to go if you want the lifts.

One thing I would add, if you get aftermarket lifts instead of F4ZZ-63406A10-B like I did it doesnt come with the ball stud that goes into the coupler. You can order those from McMaster also:

10mm ball stud: 9512K73 $1.03 ea.
I would just like to add, that I had to re-tap the threads to a different thread pitch on one half of the coupler in order to screw the ball stud into one end of the coupler, Mcmaster might have one that is correct, it's been two years since I did this mod, three or four since I did this mod to my 95 bird.

· Premium Member
1,333 Posts
The ones I got from McMaster had the correct threads. If you look at the specs it will have the pitch listed there. But a good idea to double check everything to make sure it all fits together.

· Premium Member
1,333 Posts
Trunk Lid FYI

So I took my Bird over to Tim's to have him put the lift supports on the trunk lid, since everyone has said that with 2 lifts even with the spoiler the lifts were too much and slammed the trunk up. With this info I decided to have Tim take the tension rods out and give that a try. After taking out a huge life insurance policy on Tim he pried and prodded the rods out. One popped hard and he said he saw sparks fly inside the trunk but he had the lid closed mostly and just his arm in there. So everyone knows, I can lift it up with one hand and hold it up fairly easy but without the tension rods 2 lifts (the stock Mustang ones) are not enough to open the trunk all the way.

Getting info on the strength of the lifts hasn't been easy but it is out there. the company that makes the ones I have: Sachs don't have the technical specs online but I found out I can call and get the info. I just need to know the total weight of the trunk lid plus the spoiler then I can get the correct ones. I've been thinking too that with the hardware described in this thread the coupler creates a weak spot at the rear deck. because of the length of the coupler it gives the lift more of a tendency to flex that mounting point and if I put stronger lifts in it will flex even more with more pressure. The coupler method is easier to install since the stud is already there but I was thinking that a more flushed mounting point on the rear deck would make it stronger and less likely to flex. I'm going to look on McMaster Carr and try to find a more appropriate bracket to attached the lift to the deck.

While checking online for different lifts and looking for specs I found this from Stabilus:

http://www.stabilus.com/electric-motor-drives.html

http://www.stabilus.com/electric-motor-drives/us-powerise-series-types.html

When I figure out what the total weight of the trunk lid is with the spoiler I think I am going to try going this direction. Install a system that opens and closes the trunk by itself but I haven't been able find a cost estimate on them yet, I need to find a local dealer.

· PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
4,473 Posts
Yes the rod really carries enough energy to wack something and makes some bright sparks either get the right tool or be crazy enough to try. LOL. I just let them suckas fly....BANG. Even Kelly was amazed at how loud that was when the first rod got let go.

I say some big fat washers will help with the flex but maybe someone else has a better idea.

· Premium Member
1,333 Posts
I was just thinking of using a flat bracket with a 10mm ball and a nut on the stud to hold it down. You would have to take out the rear deck to get it all on there tight but it takes out that flex point. Also my deck only had one of the studs there so Tim had to put one in on the drivers side, the hole is actually covered by the seat belt cover so you could put a bolt, nut or whatever and it won't raise up the carpet or whatever you have on your deck.

· Premium Member
Chameleon 1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6
20 Posts
Going to bump this old thread because it was so useful and add my $0.02.

McMaster-Carr still offers all the parts with the same numbers. Here's the pick sheet from my order:

I also used these lift supports from Amazon. They are a direct replacement for the OE part number, and a pair of these is the same cost as one of the OE supports.

Here's my full post on it: Project Chameleon

· Premium Member
585 Posts
So I should have known this. The lift supports listed above are too long so they dont work with the Cougar's larger trunk. :poop:

I ordered a set of #4125 lift supports which are 13" extended vs 19" for the Tbirds. Everything else looks to line up fine, so I will update when I install them.

· Premium Member
585 Posts
Update... The 4125 do fit for Cougars trunk. I put one on both sides. Now the trunk stays open, and it opens much more smoothly. With even stronger lift supports it would probably open up itself when the trunk release is pressed. Overall happy with how it worked out!

Also I recommend not messing with the trunks torsion springs. Long story short I removed them after failing to adjust them. Installing them back in was a huge PITA.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts