·
Registered
2,435 Posts
33 spline axles will do the trick

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,265 Posts
I'm going to test my new ones tonight.
I had to buy a new torque wrench to install them right.

Rob, is that thing taken care of?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
We'll I have proof of delivery so that's perfect

·
Super Moderator
10,761 Posts
Awesome catch; that would be bad if it breaks under power. :)

You caught it at exactly the right time; it's stronger after the first yield, but much, much more fragile.

Cut a section out of the broken area, polish it, and hit it with a mild nitric acid solution; that will bring up the grain so you can see it easily.

Vinegar will work in a pinch, but it won't look as good. :)

(Torn metal looks like a sponge under the microscope, if you've never seen it.)

It's amazing how much energy it takes to do that. :headbang:

TM, I'd make that a desk ornament, considering your career. :)

"This is what it looks like just before it breaks..."

:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
12,245 Posts
Yea, I've done acid etching before. It does look cool.

Yea it takes a tremendous amount of force to tear metal like that. :headbang:

You're right. That would make a great desk ornament. I would like to PT or MT those to see what else is there that you can't see with just a VI. :tongue:

Save those for me Rob. I meant to ask you sooner but I'm sure you'll just throw them in a pile somewhere in the shop until you're ready to make another scrap run or did you send them to DSS to rebuild?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Parts had to go to dss

·
Super Moderator
10,761 Posts
You're right. That would make a great desk ornament. I would like to PT or MT those to see what else is there that you can't see with just a VI. :tongue:
You guys do some testing that is amazing in what it sees. :)

(I wanted to post a paragraph here, but I really can't, my Corp would not approve...) :)

The metal etching I do these days is all copper, looking for bad thru-hole vias. :rolleyes:

The ruined metal will look foamed, stretched into a form that held, lol.

But, that doesn't mean it will hold in a different direction; a hard bump could have really worked those.

It likely would have been little cones sticking out of the hub, with a little tear where it let go.
:)

BTW, Rob: Credit where Credit is due, Son!

You built that Sh*t; walk proud, man!

I see why you upgraded. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
I wanna see a lot of good pics of the new ones! Those damn wheel hops are what kills everything. I'm hoping the slicks will keep that from happening to save my new (but stock) half shafts. Otherwise I will have to step it up and beat everyone with some customs made 300M billet steel axles :D

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
These new one are 300m shafts and 4340 outlets

Ron I've got the inner with the cracks, my briber said he can redrill hubs just gotta get pricing from him but either way it has to be done

·
West Virginia Chapter Director /, MA Drag Race Te
2,643 Posts
I wanna see a lot of good pics of the new ones! Those damn wheel hops are what kills everything. I'm hoping the slicks will keep that from happening to save my new (but stock) half shafts. Otherwise I will have to step it up and beat everyone with some customs made 300M billet steel axles :D
The slicks, Better rear bushings, Air lift bags will all help control that. But you are correct, stiff sidewall tires and bounce along with the power is what snaps them most often. The softer sidewalls on the large sidewall slicks do help absorb some of the shock, therefore less bounce. Regardless I've broken them both ways and the last time as a set at once.

So it can be done.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts