TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put trunk struts on their Cougar? I've read through the thread about it where someone did it on their Bird, but I can't seem to find anything about doing it on a Cougar. I figured I'd need this now because since I put some sound damping material behing the reflector panel, the decklid will not stay up on it's own (at least most of the rattle is gone).

My dad said that he can look them up by open and closed length and by the poundage. Also, can I use the same McMaster Carr hardware that you use on the T-Bird? Thanks!

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Yes. Someone has put an extra shock in there so it has twice the holding power and won't close on you. Lemme look...

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I can't imagine the trunks support arms being in different spots in the cougar vs. the bird. I know the cougar trunk is wider, but it's still the same depth, so the Mustang hood struts should work without a problem. Mine still have a couple inches of push left in them when the trunk is fully open, so even if they need to extend further in the Cougar they should still work fine.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
The McMaster Carr hardware is pretty cheap, so I would just go for it.

You should be able to compare the pictures in the link I provided, to your Cougar, and see if they will work.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well after looking closer, it looks like the decklids aren't that different. hmm. Time to go shopping :D

To double check, I need:
Struts (2): Ford part number is F4ZZ-63406A10-B 1994 Mustang GT
Ball mount bracket - McMaster Carr part #9512K91 (Qty. 1) Cost: $1.20
Coupling Nut- McMaster Carr part #93355A105 (Qty.) 8mm x 1.25 pitch x 1 1/2" lg.
Cost: $2.87
Pan head screw - #10-24 unc x 1" lg, with hex nut.

Correct?

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I've got a spoiler and damping behind my reflector, so I think I'm ordering 2

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
cougar_guy04 said:
Pan head screw - #10-24 unc x 1" lg, with hex nut.

Correct?

List looks good.

If you can, get a stainless steel screw and nut.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have an aftermarket spoiler thats alot heavier than the OEM ones and one rod pops the trunk, plus holds it open very nice.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I used two hood struts off of my parts car in my trunk. It opens the trunk (with a fiberglas Taurus spoiler) and holds it open very nicely. I didn't buy any mounting hardware. I just popped them onto the studs sticking out. Works great.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Why a 94 GT and not another year? And does anyone else sell the ball that you need to do this? This will solve my long problem with people slamming my trunk so hard, I swear they are going to break my LED's that are perfect right now. And does anyone have pics of each item out of their packages?

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
The 94 GT lift strut was mentioned in a write-up from MN12 Performance's website.

The 94 GT lift struts are available from Dan Newman, and they work perfectly.

If you want to try another strut, then go ahead and experiment.

The ball mount bracket is available from McMaster Carr, and you can order them via phone, or on-line. Since I order from them almost daily, I have no need to find another source.

Again, start thumbing thru some catalouges, or browse some web-sites.

As far as pictures of the parts out of the bag,what items are you referring to?

I have pictures of them in the link I posted earlier.

Note that these two parts are out of the bag.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Do this first!

I was going to add the struts on a Bird with aftermarket wing. I decided to look for an adjustment first. I'm glad I did.
Look at the trunk torque arm ends. See what position they are in. Probably the middle slot.
The Ford manual says to use a 3/8 drive 1/2" deep socket over the end of the rod to reposition it. Move it to the rear (towards the back end of the car) to make it stiffer. That should keep all of us from having the expense and labor of installing these struts.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I'm not sure how much more you'll get. I think an extra strut would be smoother too.

Good information, though, for those that don't have "TOO" much of a problem. If it's not heavily weighted, then that should work fine. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
497 Posts
What about if you have removed the springs and you need to lift the trunk. I have tried the shocks alone but they bent the arms that connect to the lid. Should I go fiberglass trunk or does any one have I idea what to do.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, just an FYI. The cougars need different struts than the 95 GT struts. I'm going to measure for lengths and post back here whic ones I ended up using.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts