TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
shaken, not stirred
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the Trunk supports from a mustang installed in their MN12? If you do, do you have pictures of it? I always read they are from a '94 mustang but i always wondered if anyone ever has done this. i don't thingk i have ever seen a pic of it and i am tired of getting my head whacked by a run-a-way trunk lid.
thanks

C.Hill

·
shaken, not stirred
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My bad! I konw i had searched before and never found anything, and here someone does it a week before i ask. thanks

C.Hill

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Here's a repost of a more permanent method of installing the lift struts, complete with pictures and part numbers.

The methods shown above are fine, but the strut can pop off the torsion bar at any time, usually just before you want to open the trunk.

PM me with any questions

Trunk Lid lift strut information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just completed installation of a trunk lid lift strut. This lift strut allows the trunk lid to go up completely. It does not fly up, but rather goes up at a nice rate. It also closes nice, and it minimizes the chances of the lid slamming shut.

You will need the following parts.

1. Lift strut - Ford part number is F4ZZ-63406A10-B and is from a 1994 Mustang GT.
Cost: $20.67 with member discount

2. Ball mount bracket - McMaster Carr part #9512K91 (Qty. 1) Cost: $1.20

3. Coupling Nut- McMaster Carr part #93355A105 (Qty.) 8mm x 1.25 pitch x 1 1/2" lg.
Cost: $2.87

Note: I use the NJ branch of McMaster Carr, phone 1-732-329-3200

4. Pan head screw - #10-24 unc x 1" lg, with hex nut.

To install:

1. Screw the coupling onto the existing stud, as shown in photo

2. Attached ball socket fitting included with lift strut, to other end of coupling.

3. Enlarge top right hole to 1/4" dia. in ball mount bracket, to fit around trunk torsion arm.

4. Place ball mount bracket in position shown in photo, and drill a 3/16" dia. hole thru trunk arm, to line up with top left hole in ball mount bracket.

5. De-burr both sides of hole in trunk arm, and install pan head screw.

6. Attach lift strut to both ball sockets.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got tired of trunk lid going down when unloading trunk on an incline so I put 2 lift struts on my trunk. When I push the remote trunk button I can eject a cat over the hood. JK.. It flies up real nice.. Thanks for the pic's

·
Registered
290 Posts
This may sound like a stupid question, but are the struts from a 94 mustang GT hood or trunk? I just figured they may have put them on the trunk of a mustang and not the 'birds. I am definitely doing this mod!

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
This may sound like a stupid question, but are the struts from a 94 mustang GT hood or trunk? I just figured they may have put them on the trunk of a mustang and not the 'birds. I am definitely doing this mod!

Thanks,
Mike
94-04 Mustang GT TRUNK STRUTS for our trunk lifts...I ordered them from late model restoration a.k.a 50 resto, however, you can probably get them elsewhere...with the following MCMASTER-CARR parts:

9512K91 - BALL STUD MOUNT THAT GOES ON THE TRUNK LID ARMS YOU NEED TWO OF THESE *I used self tapping screws to attach them, used two, one in each hole, and the third hole goes on the metal piece coming out of the trunk arms.

93355A105 - COUPLERS TO ATTACH TO THE STUDS INSIDE THE TRUNK UNDER THE PACKAGE SHELF YOU NEED TWO OF THESE

9512K98 - BALL STUD MOUNTS TO SCREW INTO THE COUPLERS LISTED ABOVE, YOU NEED TWO OF THESE (these where not mentioned above, but they are pictured on the red car's installation)

I just did this mod this week and it's just great...trunk opens real fast even on a steep hill and will stay open, yet is still easy to close.

·
Registered
78 Posts
94-04 Mustang GT TRUNK STRUTS for our trunk lifts...I ordered them from late model restoration a.k.a 50 resto, however, you can probably get them elsewhere...with the following MCMASTER-CARR parts:

9512K91 - BALL STUD MOUNT THAT GOES ON THE TRUNK LID ARMS YOU NEED TWO OF THESE *I used self tapping screws to attach them, used two, one in each hole, and the third hole goes on the metal piece coming out of the trunk arms.

93355A105 - COUPLERS TO ATTACH TO THE STUDS INSIDE THE TRUNK UNDER THE PACKAGE SHELF YOU NEED TWO OF THESE

9512K98 - BALL STUD MOUNTS TO SCREW INTO THE COUPLERS LISTED ABOVE, YOU NEED TWO OF THESE (these where not mentioned above, but they are pictured on the red car's installation)

I just did this mod this week and it's just great...trunk opens real fast even on a steep hill and will stay open, yet is still easy to close.
I just did the mod yesterday evening.
there was one problem with the parts listed, the ball stud (9512K98), is a different threading than the couplers (93355A105) and needs to be re-tapped to fit correctly. I chose to re-tap one side of the coupler to 5/16 and leave the other side as m8.
also the hole on the ball stud mount (9512K91) that needs to be enlarged needs to use a 5/16 drill bit, any smaller and it wont fit around the little stud sticking out of the trunk arm. it will be a very tight fit so use a small deep socket over the trunk arm stud and tap it into place with a hammer.
my trunk opens fast now and stays open.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Just to clarify a couple of things..........

1. The Mustang GT trunk struts come with a ball stud. (EDIT: I ordered mine from Ford) This screws into the coupling - which screws into the stud sticking out of the rear deck shelf. It should not be necessary to re-drill or re-tap to make these fit. Mine went in straight out of the package with no mods.

2. Enlarging the hole on the bracket.

You want that to be a tight fit - so use the 1/4" dia. drill bit and if it won't fit, I would then use a 17/64 dia. drill or a 9/32 dia. drill until it fit.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Just to clarify a couple of things..........

1. The Mustang GT trunk struts come with a ball stud. (EDIT: I ordered mine from Ford) This screws into the coupling - which screws into the stud sticking out of the rear deck shelf. It should not be necessary to re-drill or re-tap to make these fit. Mine went in straight out of the package with no mods.
I ordered my trunk struts from 50 resto and they didn't come with the ball stud

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yeah, they are still there at the time the picture was taken, but were they removed later?

If your not removing the torsion bars then I'm not really understanding the point of adding the struts.

I'm converting my trunk over to struts because the torsion bar springs are in the way. So far, my two struts will open the trunk half way but not hold it all the way open. I'm going to have to tweak the geometry and maybe step up to stiffer struts. I decided to look here to see if anyone else is doing what I am. They kinda are, but not really. I want to understand why others are adding a strut(s). Can anyone explain it?

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
On my 95, the torsion bars where not strong enough to hold the trunk up, especially after I added the SHO spoiler to the car....same thing on the 96 I have now...It seems to me that if you remove the torsion bars completely and only rely on the lift struts they might not have enough gusto to open or hold the trunk up...these especially help if you park on a steep driveway like I do...trunk will NOT slam down no matter what.

·
The Parts Guy
7,357 Posts
Anyone know what strut p/n or extended/compressed lengths would work for a Cougar?

·
Registered
394 Posts
On my 95, the torsion bars where not strong enough to hold the trunk up, especially after I added the SHO spoiler to the car....same thing on the 96 I have now...It seems to me that if you remove the torsion bars completely and only rely on the lift struts they might not have enough gusto to open or hold the trunk up...these especially help if you park on a steep driveway like I do...trunk will NOT slam down no matter what.
Wouldn't a simpler fix be to adjust (twist) the bars more so they are stronger? Oh well, I see what you mean.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Anyone know what strut p/n or extended/compressed lengths would work for a Cougar?
I just got done doing this to my '96 Cougar today. I used the stang trunk struts. but instead I made mine a more permenant install. I cut the mounting hardware out of the back of my wifes '96 Explorer that we are scrapping, and welded in to the Cougar. I am happy with it so far. I have a Saleen S351 wing and it opens no problem at all.

Here is a video clip of me poping the trunk on my remote:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts