Banned
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
CLEANING THE MAF METER FIXED IT!!! YAY!!!!!​

OK.

so here is what all is going on and has been done so far:

Vehicle is a 1995 tbird with the 4.6

Symptoms are:

running rough when cold, no power, winds up but no torque (feels like free revving but moves car forward)

Troubleshooting so far:

changed plugs and wires along with the EGR valve.

ALL 8 plugs looked like this:

I am running out of patience and money. I still have the fuel filter for it to put on, but dont really think that is going to help much. Car has roughly 165K miles on it. Once it warms up and gets heat in the motor, it runs alot better, although not as well as it should/could be...

Please offer some suggestions so I can try to get this figured out ASAP. It is costing me $48 for a 240 mile round trip from my house to memphis. I cant find anyone to buy it because of its condition body wise. I have put brand new tires on it trying to improve mileage and my cost went down from $50 to 48 for the round trip.

Transmission is fine and does not slip at all. Had alignment done after replacing upper control arms. helped quite a bit. but the engine problem is really wearing on my nerves like a dental drill.

·
Banned
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what procedure?? wanna run a link by me? i haven't cleaned it, although I did put a brand new air filter in, forgot that part in the original posting.

·
Super Moderator
9,148 Posts
Your other thread mentioned a code for excessive EGR flow. That would most likely be the DPFE sensor. Do you still have the code?

Numerous people also asked if you had cleaned your MAF sensor, did you do that yet? http://www.tccoa.com/articles/intake/mafclean.html

The MAF tells the computer how much air is entering the engine so it can determine how much fuel to deliver (among a great variety of other things). Skewed readings can cause all sorts of trouble. If cleaning it does no good, unplug it and see if it runs better. If running it unplugged helps, your trouble is a bad sensor and it will need to be replaced.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Look at your fuel injectors, they might be filthy, I just pulled off some injectors of a 94 with 123K on her and inside the fuel rails and injectors were so much crap, debris, and deposits, not saying this is the problem just trying to go through the process of elimination

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
This really sounds like a MAF issue. My 96 cougar was acting all sorts of weird when the maf was filthy. When cold it would NOT go above 3000 RPM. Would just fall on it's face. Then it started throwing bank 1 lean codes. Then a few weeks later bank 2 joined in. It was weird.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
what procedure?? wanna run a link by me? i haven't cleaned it, although I did put a brand new air filter in, forgot that part in the original posting.
if you have to ask, then you haven't cleaned the maf, and it is now covered with 15 yrs worth of gunk on it...lol

torx bit + MAF spray cleaner = awesomeness :tongue:

·
Banned
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok. I just have to get it out and cleaned now. I believe I have the right sized torx but will double check screw type before attempting to remove it.

·
Super Moderator
9,148 Posts
Or if worse comes to worst, you can do what cheap-o me did. I took the entire MAF sensor and housing off the car and put a regular T-20 bit over the head of the screw. Then I took a hammer and hit the end of the bit so as to smash the little post at the center of the screw down far enough that I was able to get enough bite to get the screws out. Then I just picked through a jar of regular philips head machine screws and used those instead of the torx screws when I put it back together. YMMV though, the bit I used didn't have the taper at the tip like most new torx bits do.

·
Banned
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well crapola
got it out and took a few pics but could only get one screw loose. had to use pliers. now I dont know if I can go get the set at oreillys and make it back home!!

AAAAAAA

anyways, gonna reassemble this setup and go after that set of tips I think. unless I get my Mom to go get them.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts