TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 3.8 95 cougar and two weeks after 3-4 went so i installed a junkyard tranny which was fine..and all i could afford at the time and when im driving on straight and level streets sometimes ill get a shudder from 1-2, the trans is filled with castrol mercon v as well as a quart of lucas as well as a new filter which i replaced with the trans.

Im also trying to figure out why it hesitates from a stop in drive not in manual 1 or 2. Ive learned to live with these problems but i would also like to know if anyone has similar problems

Thanks, Zach

·
Registered
131 Posts
I also have this problem in my '96 4.6L. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thought that might be it, but needed someone's opinion with trans knowhow. Thanks, DD.

·
Banned
20 Posts
1/2 shudder

Can someone explain how a Torque Converter that does the same function in all gears, only causes a problem on the 1/2 shift?

Most likely the concern is the Intermediate Clutch or the Intermediate One-Way Clutch.
I suspect the "hesitation when in drive" that you have is acutally a No 2-1 downshift and as you step on the gas, it forces the trans to downshift into 1st gear.
When in Manual 1 or Manual 2 position, no automatic downshift occurs.

When you take the torque converter out, remove the front pump and check the Intermediate clutch plates for warp or burnt(black) areas. There is also a bleed hole in the Intermediate clutch piston that MUST be oriented at the 12 o'clock position. Hopefully you got some kind of warranty with that trans.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
bleed hole in the Intermediate clutch piston that MUST be oriented at the 12 o'clock?

. There is also a bleed hole in the Intermediate clutch piston that MUST be oriented at the 12 o'clock position. Hopefully you got some kind of warranty with that trans.
- Doesn't the damned thing spin 360 degrees ? - NEVER seen this before & if it's in Manual I missed it ~!
- Wondering what the Gurus have to say on this __________ ??

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Maybe it's just shuddering because it's cold out!

Whaaaa Whaa Whaaaaaaaaaaa :tongue:

·
Banned
20 Posts
Intermediate bleed Hole

BUCK,
Don't feel bad, alot of people miss this. The piston doesn't rotate, It is held in place by a metal retainer. The workshop manual has this in it but it doesn't call it out by printing in BOLD or equivalent. It is in the Disassembly/Assembly of Subassemblies section. The bleed hole is the only round hole in the pistion and must be positioned to 12 o'clock.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
It's in BOLD in the POS ATSG p99 that I keep in Office - I'll check the real Ford Manual I keep in Garage... Thank God I must have gotten it right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts