TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my buddy is having someone gut his stock cats on his car. That will make his check engine light come on right? does he need a tune to turn something off? The car is registered and insured in ohio so he doesn't have to worry about an emissions test, but turning the check engine light off would probably be good.

·
Registered
663 Posts
The rear O2s will need to be turned off if that's what you're wondering, I've heard of mil eliminators in mm&ff but I don't know of anyone that uses them.

From what I understand gutting the cats isn't particularily helpful performance-wise

·
Registered
623 Posts
I'm not positive, but don't believe MIL eliminators (o2 sensor simulators) can be purchased new anymore. There was an article somewhere detailing the construction of them using a couple dollars worth of Radio Shack parts however.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i found instructions for constructing Ford MIL eliminators, but his car is a pontiac (sorry should have mentioned that) would they be different? i think it might be best for him to just get a high flow cat instead.

·
Registered
663 Posts
There are front and back O2 sensors on that car then right?

o2 sensors are o2 sensors from what I understand, the ohms *should* be the same

High flowing cats are always your best bet. But the $$$

·
Registered
483 Posts
why not remove the sensors, have the cats gutted and put them back in???? I honestlt do not think it is worth the trouble and your exhaust is gonna smell and it's really bad for the environment with very little to gain. It's your buddy's choice but i would save my money for high flows instead.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I honestlt do not think it is worth the trouble and your exhaust is gonna smell and it's really bad for the environment with very little to gain.
Hey, if this guy wants an extra 1/2 hp at redline who cares about nature?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
why not remove the sensors, have the cats gutted and put them back in???? I honestlt do not think it is worth the trouble and your exhaust is gonna smell and it's really bad for the environment with very little to gain. It's your buddy's choice but i would save my money for high flows instead.
isn't your system catless?

·
Registered
131 Posts
There is a company which makes pipes that look like cats. They are a straight pipe with heat shields around it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Is your friend's Pontiac a 4 or 6 cylinder? If so I would forget about removing the cats. It will sound like garbage for nothing in return. I'm not saying v8s gain anything from going catless, they just have a chance of not sounding terrible sans converters.

·
Super Moderator
10,675 Posts

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
Hey, if this guy wants an extra 1/2 hp at redline who cares about nature?
you'll lose power with gutted cats.....:rolleyes: search it on the forums. with gutted cats it disrupts the flow and creates turbulance.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Lose power, not loose. Yes gutted cats create turbulence, basically no gain.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
If the cats are clogged up, I can see gutting them as a cheap fix.
IMO if one absolutely has to gut the cat as a "cheap fix", you should at least ram a proper sized straight pipe through it from the outlet to inlet and fasten it there.

The "gutted cats sound like crap and hurt power" saying is indeed true. Been there, done that, won't do it again.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
What model/year Pontiac is your buddies car? I picked up an MIL elim. for my 00 Grand Prix Gt, wasn't horribly expensive.

Jay

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
it's an 01 pontiac sunfire... i know i know this probably isn't going to do much for him anyways but he wants to do it anyways.

we went to radio shack and got all the parts needed to make a MIL eliminator using the specs i found using google, so we'll try that first. it's going to be a couple weeks before he gets it done anyways.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts