TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, is there any way i could get a tune without the price of an Xcal? I don't need the different programs or anything. just a single 91 octane tune. Is this possible without the $400 price tag or do i have to take the plunge with an xCal? Thanks

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
You can just have the EEC reflashed, but it will be permanent.

·
Registered
483 Posts
why wouldn't you want an xcal2? it's a good investment, especially if your gonna keep the bird for awhile...

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it's just the $400 price tag scares me away. I know that everybody rants and raves about Lonnie's Xcal2 tune's. And i bet their great. I have had a couple short PM conversations with Lonnie, and he seems like an ideal person to do buisness with. I'm just not sure if i want to spend that much money on the T-bird when i'm planning to buy another car soon.

Does Lonnie do "chip" tune's? Or should i look somewhere else for a chip? Also does the chip offer the same performance grains as an xcal2, but just without the multiple tune function? Thanks alot for the help.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh so it's really worth the $50 for the xcal then... Hmm, i see now. I guess i'm out of options then. Guess i'll have to contemplate getting an Xcal. Thanks alot everyone. Has anyone taken their car to the track with the xcal tune before and after to see what the actual difference is?

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Has anyone taken their car to the track with the xcal tune before and after to see what the actual difference is?
It all depends on who does the tune. If you get a tune from someone who doesn't know their head from a hole in the ground, it's not going to do you a whole lotta good. A good tune is the magic behind the Xcals.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
A chip is $325 plus shipping for a single program for a mild NA application. http://www.blueovalchips.com/index.php?action=item&id=2&prevaction=category&previd=1&prevstart=0 If you want to make a change in the programming then it has to be sent back. If you are wanting more than one program then there's additional cost for each additional program.

The XCal 2 goes for $400 plus shipping with a single program for mild NA application. http://www.blueovalchips.com/index.php?action=item&id=6&prevaction=category&previd=2&prevstart=0 With the XCal 2 you can make minor adjustments with the end user adjustability, On Device Adjustments (ODA). http://www.blueovalchips.com/index.php?action=paramadjust So with this device you can make minor changes to the program or programs we provide in the device. If you need a new program it can be emailed to you. Then you just download the file into the device and then reprogram your vehicle. This device also data logs all engine and transmission function with the included software. It will read and clear CELs on any Ford vehicle OBD II Ford vehicle.

Each program is built to the customer's requests and or per our discussion of the vehicle's needs. Then once the program files are built we burn them into a chip or program them into the handheld tuners. This is why we call them custom programs. These are not ready made programs that most chip manufactures like Superchips, Jet, Hypertech or Diablo use that one program fits all. We've spent many hours on the dyno, at the track and then on the street over the past 8 years testing our programs to get the results we want. Our performance programs can entail up to and more than one hundred changes to the factory programming depending on the year, type and modifications to the vehicle. These changes not only include engine parameters but also transmission and torque converter for automatic vehicles. Removal of speed limiter, increased shift rpm, shift firmness and torque converter lockups (auto) are standard changes in all our programming unless otherwise notified. You can expect better throttle responds, drivability, some increase in mileage besides additional performance.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow... That's alot to contemplate. So when i get this xcal2 it's basically a tuning device that's also a code scanner. By "clearing" check engine codes, does this mean if my check engine light is on say from an intake temperature sensor, i can just punch in whatever keys into the Xcal and "erase" that particular code? Or does it erase the engine code function? Also, when you mean track experience, how much of a gain do you typically see for a "mild" 4.6L NPI tbird? Thanks alot!

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
if you have a CEL, you plug in the xcal to the diagnostic port while the car is on, select scan DTC codes and it will scan and display the code. You press "clear" on the pad and select erase DTC codes and it will erase the code and turn off the light, until the EEC spits out a code again.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh okay. So basically the code will clear, BUT if the component is bad the EEC will just send the code out again? Correct? So really the code will just clear temporarily. Kinda like if i reset my engine computer via fuse 15 technique?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow. How come your car ran so slowly? The track at high altitude or something? My 96 4.6L did 15.65 at Sacramento Raceway. All stock. Sacramento Raceway is known for belting out the best times for cars, and i understand the 96's have a little different intake set up. But man half a second off of the quarter. That's really impressive.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Oh okay. So basically the code will clear, BUT if the component is bad the EEC will just send the code out again? Correct? So really the code will just clear temporarily. Kinda like if i reset my engine computer via fuse 15 technique?
yes.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I really don't know exactly why, but I wouldn't have been driven to do all the mods I've done if it was in the 15's to start with. I probably would have been happy. Both days I made those runs were in the middle of summer, on very humid nights in the heart of Texas, my car weighs ~4,000# w/ me in it, and the motor just never seemed very strong.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,261 Posts
originally posted by sCrEaMiN BiRd
Wow. How come your car ran so slowly? The track at high altitude or something? My 96 4.6L did 15.65 at Sacramento Raceway. All stock. Sacramento Raceway is known for belting out the best times for cars, and i understand the 96's have a little different intake set up. But man half a second off of the quarter. That's really impressive.

the 94/5's have more restrictive heads/and intake, plus the trans's suck in those years;)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
the 94/5's have more restrictive heads/and intake, plus the trans's suck in those years;)
Although, after Lonnie's tune, I have pulled both a '94 or '95 TBird SC, and a '97 T'Bird on the top-end. Mine was a stock motor, heads, intake, exhaust, but w/ air silencer removed and a K&N panel filter. Maybe everyone runs slower where I'm at? :zdunno:

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Although, after Lonnie's tune, I have pulled both a '94 or '95 TBird SC, and a '97 T'Bird on the top-end. Mine was a stock motor, heads, intake, exhaust, but w/ air silencer removed and a K&N panel filter. Maybe everyone runs slower where I'm at? :zdunno:
I would say thats the problem more than anything else. Humidity and heat definatley cuts performance down a crap load. Do you know the altitude of the track that you went to? That also is a big negative for performance. Your car itself probably isn't slow, it's most likely the track. I've seen some 95 SC's (5-speeds) at Sacramento raceway hit 14's easily. One 55 year old man was at the track last year with a 5 speed 95 SC all stock. And i believe he ran a 14.9 and i ran 15.7X. So he smoked me : (. But he was a nice guy. Never knew a 55 year old man can shift like that. LOL. So yeah, shoot if you can pull those cars top end, that's pretty good. I guess i'll have to get pretty serious about an Xcal.

Oh yeah also is your xcal tuned for 91 octane? Or 93? Also did Lonnie change up the transmission settings? Thanks alot everyone!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.