TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again.

I stuck a can of Seafoam in the fuel tank about 2 weeks ago in my 95, got a tad bit of smoke and a ton at one point on a cold day reving it high..

I have some free time so I decided I will clean the MAFS and was wondering if I need to know anything else in particular? I am thinking of getting a can of MAFS cleaner and compressed air (like I read on here, easier than the Q-Tip right?).

What else should I be tinkering with to get a good tune up done? Such as cleaning the Throttle Body, etc?

I idled for a bit before work then gave her a few revs, this has happened before about a year ago and it revs "odd" and BOOM, backfire out the exhaust. Anything to be worried about or just carbon getting shot out?

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have some free time so I decided I will clean the MAFS and was wondering if I need to know anything else in particular? I am thinking of getting a can of MAFS cleaner and compressed air (like I read on here, easier than the Q-Tip right?).

I would not used compressed air. The winding's are very delicate. The pressure from the can should be enough. Use the q-tip if necessary, be gentle.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
How deep do you want to go?

For a 95, I'd go with new Motorcraft plugs and wires, change the air filter, fuel filter, PCV valve, clean the MAF (as already stated), and clean the EGR passages in the intake as they are likely carboned up by now since the 95's have a habit of doing this. Keep in mind this requires removing parts from the very BACK of the upper intake in order to get to the passages and there is not a lot of room back there. Most people usually remove the plastic cowl around the wipers to get a little extra space.

Then of course you should also drop the trans. pan and replace the filter and drain all the fluid out that you can from the TC. IIRC, there should be a drain plug on the 95's still. Find that and drain the entire TC along w/ what you get from the pan drop. Then install new filter, close it up and refill with Mercon V, NOT Mercon III as the owners manual and dipstick states. Doing this will require around 14 quarts IIRC. Could also give it a mild j-mod while the pan is down, but this requires you to remove the valve body and drill the plate. Not knowing your level of experience I can only suggest.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have minimal experience and most of everything I do is first-time for me.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Well in that case you may be best just to leave the j-mod off the list, or order a kit from RobertP which in that case it's just a swap IIRC. Personally I see no reason to NOT do it while you have the pan off already (unless your trans has a lot of miles on it). All you need is a bottle jack and a strong pair of snap ring pliers. I did my own j-mod way back when and I think I re-read the instructions 20 times as I went along, lol... Transmissions are not something I like to screw up. It worked great and still does, although other issues have since cooked that one. I've done 4 others since then and all of them turned out fine.

All the things I mentioned are easy enough for the beginner (excluding maybe the EGR passages) with basic hand tools. Get yourself a good Chiltons manual for it if you don't already have one as well.

The rest of the info can be found here by doing a search, or just asking one of us if you really get stuck.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a Haynes manual and I'm also getting a Chilton manual through Amazon in a bit. Trying my hand at some body work today as well, my rockers were not done that great, they are solid and it passed inspection but looks ugly as hell. Got a large black rectangle on the bottom rear side skirt, testing my handy work on a piece of sheet metal before attempting it.

RobertP sells complete 4R70W swaps w/ j-mod?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Not sure on the entire transmission, but I believe he sells the pre-drilled valve bodies as a complete install kit then you just install the kit. Check out the drivetrain forum under 4R70W and see what is offered. BTW, the 95's are known to have weak trannys, so if yours has high miles on it I would start saving for a used one.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine has had a few clunks lately, I don't know if it's something like the TC or bolts getting loose there, but for example it shifted weird on one hill and I had a "clunk" is all I can describe it as. It has 128,000km.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On another question, would anyone recommend the underdrive pulleys from Super Coupe Performance and do they actually add 12 to 15 horsepower? I'm considering them, I need to replace mine anyway and don't want to pay $300 for JET.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Mine has had a few clunks lately, I don't know if it's something like the TC or bolts getting loose there, but for example it shifted weird on one hill and I had a "clunk" is all I can describe it as. It has 128,000km.
clunks could also be motor/trans mounts....

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It sounded like it was close to being in front of me or below me a bit so I assume that might be the issue.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I wouldn't mess with UD pullys....but if you must, go with a set of STEEDA pullys, or at least make sure they are not the "piggyback" type.

As for the service manual, forget Haynes, or Chilton, get a ford factory (dealer) service manual. You can find them on ebay, they are thicker, more detailed, and all around flat out better than haynes or chilton, and I have had both, factory manual beats them hands down.

Also check the tailshaft housing bolts, they can back out over time and cause leaks and such...

Oh, another thing, if your suspension has any issues at all, fix it asap!!

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Check the suspension section. There is a sticky at the top that will help out with clunking suspension issues.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Can you describe this "shifted wierd"? At 79K miles I wouldn't think a whole lot could be wrong, but you never know.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I have a squeek in the front as well and never changed some of the suspension parts, nothing in the rear for example. All I can describe it as like something "dropping" and "moving back" with no vibration or nothing.

Around this same time and also on other hills such as long inclines on a highway with overdrive ON (doesn't happen if I turn O/D off) the throttle will be non-responsive unless I push it to the floor or take my foot off and push it again. I don't know if those two things are connected or not.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
You need to check your ball joints as they are a known weak spot on these cars. If it breaks you will be calling a tow truck and the wheel will tuck into the wheelwell, and not gently either.

The throttle response w/ OD on sounds about right. With OD on and the torque converter locked it takes a bit of throttle input for it to drop into 3rd and accelerate. I don't recall if the TC unlocks on a downshift from OD to 3rd or not.

I'd check your engine and trans. mounts and all the rear mounts for wear. Sounds like you may have a bad tranny mount.

Cleaning your MAF and if you feel like it, taking the TB off to clean it should help w/ the throttle response.

These motors really don't do much until they get into the higher revs unlike a standard pushrod motor. Low-end torque is somewhat lackluster in stock form.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Durrr! Nearing next oil change and I noticed she's eaten at least 1 3/4 quarts, put some oil in and also topped off the coolant which was lower than the cold fill level since I bought the car. Never had any overheating issues though, but it's not heating up as fast now, good to have a huge fan. Seems to be running better, next onto cleaning the MAFS once I figure out how to get those dang star shaped bolts off.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On another note my LX came with TCS and of course ABS brakes all round, both the TCS is continually "off" (can't turn it on) and the ABS light is always on.

·
Super Moderator
5,085 Posts
On another note my LX came with TCS and of course ABS brakes all round, both the TCS is continually "off" (can't turn it on) and the ABS light is always on.
TCS uses ABS to do the traction control, so I wouldn't worry about that until ABS is fixed.

As to those star shaped screws on the MAF - it's a Torx security bit. There's several sources for bits for it, but one that's usually cheap, if you have a Harbor Freight around, is http://www.harborfreight.com/100-piece-security-bit-set-91310.html (WAY overkill, but nice to have). You can also find kits like this one http://www.harborfreight.com/33-piece-security-bit-set-93388.html for down to $3 if you look around.

RwP

1 - 20 of 26 Posts