TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a lot of 4.6's wanting to get turbos.. Is there more room to do so in 3.8's? I've got quite the set up coming around in spring.. If turbos will fit easier on my 3.8, maybe i'll do it. I'm not looking for huge turbos, just smaller ones that will produce enough boost. and I would like to run twins. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
One turbo will make more power than two. The key is sizing the turbo properly to the motor and the powerband you desire. The only real advantage to two is when packaging is an absolute nightmare and/or there's no room to crossover the tubes.

The best part is being able to say you have a twin turbo. The wood factor definitely rates up there. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot Sir William. Is a 3.8 easier to put a turbo in? How much gain in power could I potentially get?

Josh

·
Registered
744 Posts
if you guys need help with finding the right turbo for your engine, i have a friend who works at garrett (best turbos in the business), who could prop help you guys out, just shot me a pm/email and i'll get ya some info

·
Registered
288 Posts
Im pretty sure its the GT40 that is no question the best single turbo application for us on a street car.... The cost just isnt nice tho, and its not even a ball bearing model. Can your friend also get the hookup on GT series turbo's? They're so much nicer than T04's or T60's

Thats for a 4.6, a 3.8 could probably use a range of T04 applications with no trouble. From my reserch the 4.6 would have troubles hitting surge limits on many T04 setups and not running withing the efficiency ranges on something as big as a T60 unless you were putting a bar of pressure and thats making some serious power for a street car. But thats according to theory, real numbers are detuned a bit and a T60 may be totally rational on a stret car. Optimally I would want to run twin T3's or maybe a pair of TC IHI's. Spool time would be great should keep the general engine characteristics.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Sir William said:
One turbo will make more power than two. The key is sizing the turbo properly to the motor and the powerband you desire. The only real advantage to two is when packaging is an absolute nightmare and/or there's no room to crossover the tubes.

The best part is being able to say you have a twin turbo. The wood factor definitely rates up there. :)
I wouldnt necessarily say a single turbo will make more than two, it's all a matter of preference and cost...and of course, like you said, wood factor.

How about 8 turbos? :D

-Thomas

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
a GT40 would be plenty big for a stockish 4.6L

A 3.8 could probably use a small T4 or a T3/T4 hybrid.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
:eek:
*boing*
ohh man, that's a thing of beauty....

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
the V6 stangs are starting to become a cheap bang for the buck car with turbos. I know of 3 or 4 now running BONE STOCK engines with a single turbo and are seeing 350+rwhp 350rwtq off 10psi. I may do a turbo setup on my car some day, but I'm gunna take my S-trim to the limits first!

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
heck, justang ran a high 11 on a completely stock split-port motor with twin t2's! That just begins to show you what kind of potential the v6 has with a power adder.
-Thomas

1 - 13 of 13 Posts