TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  1. I have a 4.6 tbird, and I'm looking to add a decent amount of power for a relatively low price (part time working college kid who pays for his school himself), around $1000-$1200, and learn more about working on my car in the process. I have seen 4.6 mustangs get turbos or superchargers but would that work in my tbird? How much power could it make safely? If any of you know more info on a project like this or have suggestions that would be great!

·
Super Moderator
7,666 Posts
Of course it can be done to your Tbird, but likely not for $1200, and definitely not safely for $1200 if you have to ask on a forum whether you can do it or not. For $1200, if you are willing to put the work in yourself, you can do a PI top end swap and a tune, which should get you an honest 50hp gain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, 50hp is a good amount. Any links to recommended pi top end parts?

·
Super Moderator
7,666 Posts
No, these would all be used parts off a 99-04 Mustang GT, or any 01+ 2v 4.6 or 5.4. Cheapest way out will be to hit up the local u-pull-it yard

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check your facebook Marketplace if you have one. People sell PI heads and PI complete engines all the time. I paid 200 for a set of PI heads from a 02 mustang gt with 100,000 miles on it. It would be in your best interest to research and read up on that swap as much as you can and get familiar with it. you can squeeze more than 50 bucks out of a full PI swap with the correct tune. And for 1200 bucks you can do it yourself no problem. You might even be able to throw in a stage 1 comp cam on there while you are in there and stay in budget.

I said 50 bucks. I meant 50 hp

1 - 6 of 6 Posts