TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I decided to show the progress with installing a single turbo on my stock 4.6L cougar. The plan is lowly 6 lbs on a stock motor most likely tuned with the Moates Quaterhorse. The plan is kept simple. A low budget turbo setup. Low boost with a car that stays 100% stock besides the turbo so I can drive it anywhere in any weather and still blow AC in the summer and ride in comfort. The car is completely stock minus the wheels and tires. There will be no lowering springs, roll cages, quad turbos, modification to the cooling system, PS, or AC system....As well as no to very little ground clearance will be sacrificed. The battery is already relocated to the trunk and I still drive this car everyday while its being built.

·
Super Moderator
17,039 Posts
Ahem

IMO if your going to make kits, put the turbo where the battery sits and relocate the battery to the trunk. No way I'd give up the stock fan to put something very hot in its place.
theres always the option of exhaust wrap and a turbo balnket or shield. Im going to be building a heat shield anyways just for the heck of it. Running the turbo like this is how most of the turbomustang guys do theres on the 4.6Ls. And no the blanket is not included as that blanket was to protect the radiator from getting banged up. Actually once i start work Ill be using cardboard to cover the rad to prevent damage. Im going to be using a pusher fan that flows the same CFM as the stock fan it will mount in front of the condensor. liek i said this is R&D and Im nice enought olet you in on the R&D details as they come up. cars alread yin the air and Im already working on the hotside. I'm just takin ga quick water brea kfro mthe heat outside. relocating the battery would be more of a hassle than is needed. There is also alot more wiring and a high current fuse box not to mention a plastic coolant de-gas tank right there that would cause issues. I looked at every open available spot on the car and this is the best Ive came up with. If the temps are an issue I'll be the one to find out not a guy that IF I built him one would bolt on to his car and have problems. Like I said this does not trash the car what so ever as it is completely reversible.

i will repeat again this is a kit under R&D if it fails the kit gets thrown in a scrap bin or cut up for another crazy project and the car will return to stock or back to the drawing board?
If someone can install a turbo they can move a battery.

Turbo mustang guys can get away with mounting the turbo between the engine and rad. because the sn95 engine bay has much more space there. The mustang guys would also have to move their coolant tank since it hangs off the radiator(where the turbo is), so thats no a biggie if we have to move ours.
Your welcome :D:tongue:

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much. :D Well at first I did not want to punch any holes in the sheet metal but theres really no way around not punching a few holes in the sheet metal. As its either punch a few measly holes or go and ditch the AC and Power steering and move a bunch of crap around.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just curious, why would you want to put the turbo on the driver side and not the passenger side where the airbox is? Is it for a horizontal intercooler across the front? Did you have to move or delete your abs manifold, or was there room?

I've been trying to figure out the same setup for my 95 w/ built Mark VIII engine!

·
Super Moderator
17,039 Posts
Just curious, why would you want to put the turbo on the driver side and not the passenger side where the airbox is? Is it for a horizontal intercooler across the front? Did you have to move or delete your abs manifold, or was there room?

I've been trying to figure out the same setup for my 95 w/ built Mark VIII engine!

I spy a non ABS prop valve, so no ABS clearance issues there.

·
Registered
875 Posts
How many partially built turbo projects do you have on the go?

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
There's not much room to put the turbo on the driver side as you have AC lines and you still need to get the cold side pipe up threw that area to the MAF. Relocating the battery didn't cost me a dime as the cables were scrap wire given to me. This path works pretty well so far. The stock manifolds stay in place. The exhaust Y's together and U turns towards the front snaking its way under the LCA tucked just high enough not not cause a clearance issue. After spacing out the upper trans cooler line from the radiator it gave plenty of clearance for a 3" pipe to snake down between the motor and fan. As far as incomplete turbo projects this is the only one. I'm placing the detroit diesel I bought into my 97 blazer and that is my only other project as of now. I hadn't been back to turboing this car as I had been saving most of the income I make and I recently finally bought an acre of land so i can finally have a small break from saving every dime and put a few bucks into some equipment. I did twin turbo my beater diesel 6.2L last year. Here is a small clip of that.
http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p149/nicalizel/?action=view&current=MOV02079.mp4

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will paint the hotside parts and turbine housing with VHT ceramic paint. 10$ rattle can stuff works great. Pipes are tacked Ill take em to work and burn em in with the 480. Still need to built a braket to bolt the hot pipe you see there to the K memeber for stability and then another coupler, then a flew elbow that i have sitting here, and then U tuned up to the manifolds.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a little free time so I milled and welded up and oil drain flange...

·
It is nice
885 Posts
looks good

·
Registered
407 Posts
.....is routing the exhaust like that safe?

·
Registered
407 Posts
sir i love you. 500 hp out that 6?

·
Registered
407 Posts
you drive that thing on the street?.....race any gt500's? :p thats really cool though i hope to build my 6 up to that high of hp.....just need moneyyyyyyyyyyy :rolleyes:

·
Registered
680 Posts
I normally drive it to class everyday, gets 27 mpg and has walked a few 600cc crotch rockets pretty easily.
That's pretty cool! I didn't see a page for your car (besides the photo account), but maybe you should start up a page and list your mods and such. . . The power levels are impressive, but the mileage is pretty crazy. . . who needs ecoboost when you have that?!

Stephen

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
That is a really nice SC. I actually did build that hot pipe with the car jacked up. It fits pretty snug. My old cougar had the single turbo wit ha 3" downpipe routed under the LCA and the car was lowered 2" and I didn't have any problems there either.

Well I have been busy late work and will be going into double time by today. I did get a little bit done just plumbed the oil feed with a quick disconnect ready to plug in and go. I also started on building a mini-muffler.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts