TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought a 84 turbo coupe from my brother in law.I dont know a whole lot about the TC but I keep reading on other sites about how for like $500 these cars can pretty much blow a super coupe away(I also have an 91SC)but know body ever tells what these cheap mods are.So my question is what are some of these cheap go fast goodies?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm old school, so I just swapped the 2.3 for a whole engine. But increasing the boost with a bleeder valve on the wastegate will give it more power. You didn't say but I hope its a 5speed, the automatics are rather lame.

Here's all the 2.3 turbo info you will ever need, tell em TurboCoupe50 sent you(they ain't crazy about my 5.0 swap, but they tolerate me). :D

http://www.turbotbird.com/

Also another good turbo board.

http://www.turboford.org/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah its a 5 speed(I only drive manual cars). I was checking some stuff out under the hood and it does have a valve,so I messed with it a little bit but if I turn it to far then the engine gets a real bad knock to it,so I put it back to where it was and now i have a ticking noise.Are these engines the same as the ones in the svo mustangs?

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
You can upgrade the 84 itake setup to the larger 85+.
Install an intercooler. I actually have a original aftermarket one I am considering selling. Real rare so I just don't know... Or go with the 87-88 through the hood one.
I know the 85-86 had the larger turbo but am not sure if the 84 did. Yes play with the wastegate. Watch that boost though.

What has the other sites told you?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I havent registered with the other sites yet(been pretty busy with all my racing),but I did talk to the guy that used to own the car and he said that it sounds like I blew a gasket(cant really remember which one at the moment),and he also warned me not to close the valve all the way cause it is way to much boost.
I have been thinking of putting an IC on it but dont know if my idea will work or not.
here is the idea:take the IC from my SC and build some custom tubing and turn it into a front mount for the turbo coupe.If that dosent work I can get a air/liquid IC pretty cheap and I will just go with that.
oh yeah will a t3/t4 hybrid turbo fit or do i need a new manifold?

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
The aftermarket intercooler I have does just that. The IC is in the best location, in front of the radiator.

Turbos I am not sure on the fit. I never did that. However with all this talk I might have to find me a 85 86 to play with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You may want to find an 87 - 88 in the jy to rape, compared to your 84, it has:

Larger VAM,
Better computer
35 lb injectors (vs 30lb for the 84)
Intercooler
ACT sensor (senses air temp after the intercooler)

The 87 - 88s have the best of everything, other than they have the smallest turbo. They also carry a little more weight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought about ripping some stuff from an 88 TC,but I think I will try some sthings that may not have been tried yet just to see if it works.If it dosent work I can always sell the stuff to some ricer:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts