TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone refer me to some good places for a Turbo kit for the Mark VIII DOHC 4.6 engine, I found the KB for 4.6 DOHC Cobra engine which i can assume are just the same block as the Mark just with some extra goodies hehe

·
Super Moderator
7,527 Posts
The 96-98 cobra 4.6 is exactly the same as the 93-98 Mark VIII motor, the only difference being the intake manifold, and I have also heard that the cobra got better cams, but I don't know for sure on that one. As for a turbo "kit", none exist for the Mark VIII, so you have to piece one together if you want a turbo. Personally though, I would suggest just getting the KB cobra kit, since it will be a direct bolt-on operation, and will give the DOHC the low-end torque that it really needs.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah hah for once i was right, lol, i know you know about what Im doing lol but I need to make my plans that way i know what to do and yeh your right i just realized that the DOHC engine doesn't reach it's power curve until between 3.5 and 5k:bangwall:

·
Registered
319 Posts
There is no way that a turbo system may be mounted in the engine compartment with a 4.6 DOHC in a Mark VIII. T bird... slim? I think that Sir William did it, maybe?

·
Registered
2,639 Posts

·
Banned
36 Posts
ah so with all the work I'm (planning) on putting into the DOHC would a good 550 rwhp be obtainable with a twin set up? or should i put the KB into my plans?

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
you need to research alot about turbocharging. get on theturboforums.com and search. do search old threads if you ask a bunch of newb questions without searching first you will be flamed. theres alot of great info there.

First of all 2000+hp is obtainable with a dohc with twins. turbochargers aren't as fixed as blowers. Boost pressure is adjustable on a turbo setup by using the wastegate and or a turbocharger upgrade..housings...

Do you really think you could even handle 550whp??? At 550whp as the boost charge comes on it produces enough torque to break the tires lose and send the car sideways and if you dont know how to handle an outa control high torque car start small and work your way up.

The stock bottom end will only handle about 400hp tops due to the rods and pistons. the heads flow enough for up to 800+ the crank is good to about 600 or a little more and mostly a max of 6500rpms give or take. then theres the trans...

if you want my advice is say get the dohc running build a turbo kit and run 5psi thru the motor until you get use to driving it. Then if you have the $$$ and time upgrade the bottom end and turn it up from there.

5psi on a stock dohc will give you around the 350rwhp area and still be a blast to drive with some nasty torque.

As for turbocharging a mark8 theres alot of work ahead of you

·
Registered
319 Posts
Have you looked in the engine bay of a Mark VIII recently. I have no idea where any of this tubing will fit... or where one would even place the turbo for that matter:confused: It is so tight in there. I can't even get to my egr tube :mad:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeh no doubt it'll be even worse in the MN12 but I am seriously lookin at the STS turbo twin system, check it out @ www.ststurbo.com someone on here told me about them and it looks like a good route with such a crowded engine bay, don't even need to mess with headers!!! I'm thinking route it up from under from the left side into an intercooler then run the final tubing from the inter cooler from the pass side to the TB, I'll move the battery to probably the trunk if not I'll find a place

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
btw I'll have the make the system as an universal package just to clear that up, that don't have any set up for the earlier stangs :( which means just more $$$ to pay

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
not if you research. you can research and save money. look into master power turbos there a great quality garret knock off that will save you $$$. STS overprices there equipment in my O2. A mocal or shurflow scavenge pump can be picked up for less than 200$. SS autochrome sells cheap wastegates that have been proven to be durable. If you want to keep it simple just do a single remote mount kit. AT low boost you woulnt even need an intercooler (assuming your going to keep the boost low). you can build your own kit for under a 1000$ if you shop around first and research research research

1 - 13 of 13 Posts