TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
if you look at the pic closely its connected to a mustang intake, or at least a mustang upper intake plenum.

tony

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
You are missing the biggest problem area.....look where the turbo is sitting....now go look in your engine comparment and look what is in that space.....shocktower

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
add to that the left bank's tube would go through your K member....

Here is one way I think it would work....

turbo is in place of the battery.
set of custom turbo headers, with the left bank going between the accessories and radiator (possibly use oval pipe), as high as you can fit it.
Intake would be drawn from driver fenderwell.
Compressed air would be sent down into the front airdam, then across through an intercooler, and going up through where the stock airbox would be, to the TB.
the turbo exhaust would go straight down, make a 90 deg turn, and go where the driver side primary exhaust would be.

·
Registered
39 Posts
timb said:
You are missing the biggest problem area.....look where the turbo is sitting....now go look in your engine comparment and look what is in that space.....shocktower
That turbo is in roughly the same place as GreenBird recommended, you would have to move the battery, but it would not hit the Shock Tower.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
I would look closer the exhaust portion of that Turbo is right next to the valve cover. Now I guess it could be argued that that could be modified but there are also issues with the waste gate tubing pictured there and there relation to a tbird steering shaft. I will be the first person to aplaud someone who can pull that mod off but from what I can see you would be better off building your own tubing than trying to adapt that kit

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Yup, thats do'able, but pricey,and the thing in a Bird will be a bit different than the pic, but the biggest hitch is you will have to be willing to do a bit of hood cutting, and will have a slight 'bulge' right in your sightline, plus a lotta re-arrangeing to do in way of the battery, main junction box/fuse box, etc, and this with a hot turbo jammed in there ....It sure would be "fun" to try, unfortunately I am in the process of sticking a Powerdyne Truck kit for my 5.4L in that corner , and there are no other corners available to me... LOL

·
Registered
789 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
a turbo would be cool......but im poor so i dont want to be the 1st one.......procharger would work for me....same affect as a turbo....just less piping and heat....couldnt someone custom bend a turbo system for a bird....like they did it on a 302....so why not a 4.6?

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
JoeyICU said:
a turbo would be cool......but im poor so i dont want to be the 1st one.......procharger would work for me....same affect as a turbo....just less piping and heat....couldnt someone custom bend a turbo system for a bird....like they did it on a 302....so why not a 4.6?
Space constraints. The 5.0 is overall a lot smaller than the 4.6 (the 4.6 is about the same exterior dimensions as a 460). Mounting the turbo, piping the turbo (turbo inlet, outlet -> IC -> throttle body, exhaust from engine to turbo), all thats easy, but then you have basically no space left for a downpipe. Once you get that exhaust to the turbo, you've also got to get it away from the turbo, which is the biggest issue.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
i wanna take a 3.8 bird and shove a 460 in it.....that would work.......but ye i heard the thing about the 4.6 is as big as a 460......it must be the size of the heads and everythng i dont know what makes it so big

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Anyone see those Turbo kits that mount the turbo back by the rearend? If you really wanna turbo one of these cars, that'd be the way to do it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
the rear mount isnt to bad of an idea, but why not in the trunk? No water, debrie hitting it, and harder to steal? yes it would heat up, but air ducting? and an inclosed box for it? and some flex tube for the transitior in to the trunk? that way its mounted solid? Sounds crazy, but so did centrifical superchargers and nitrous oxide at one time. Now they are accepted power adders. I'm not saying it will work, but if you had the time, a little fabrication skill, access to a U-pull-it juck yard you could mock one up to see if it's posible.So, how many holes have I missed? Yes I'm aware of the potential lag time, but Im a nitrous junkie.A little shot and watch the boost needle fly away!.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
The trunk sounds a little nuts, some place actually makes a kit to put them by the rear end, so it probably wouldn't be too hard to get a kit for something and adapt it to a Bird. I will see if I can find the website for the place, it was posted on a nother board I read a month or two ago.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts