TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately Ive been thinking about getting a '93-'95 Ford Ranger pickup with a 2.3 and converting it to a 2.3 turbo like in Turbo Coupe Thunderbirds. Im not looking at '96+ models because we have emissions testing on '96+ vehicles in NY so unless a turbo would pass the test the newer trucks are out of consideration.

Would I need the whole turbo motor or just parts off it? I dont know if theres a big difference internally.
Would the turbo just bolt right on to the exhaust of the regular 2.3?
If I need the whole motor will it work in a '93+ without too much modification and computer programming, etc?

Ive seen older style Rangers with turbo 2.3's in magazines but not a newer style one.

Id like to leave the truck looking stock but with some work under the hood as a sleeper.
Its only an idea now and I dont have a Ranger or a turbo 2.3.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I looked into it before for my '93 Ranger 2.3L. IIRC, you would need to get a complete motor because the block is different. Also, I don't know if it would "bolt right in" or not. Pre-'93 2.3's have different motor mounts.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I know for my old 89 it would have been a drop in for the motor. But for yours I think you would have to fab up some mounts. And dont forget the wiring that goes with it. There was one running around before with the 2.3 turbo and man that thing could haul ***.
The N/A block wouldnt hold up to a turbo. The exhaust will not bolt up directly either from what I heard.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
2.3 OHC, the HSC was in the tempo and taurus

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Audiobahnbird said:
Why not just get an older one......cheaper, easier to mod, etc etc. Just be careful of rear frame rails.
I like the newer style better. I suppose I could settle for an older one if I had to but theyre kinda hard to find in good shape around here.

If I did go with an older one what is different for the wiring?

·
Registered
172 Posts
AFAIK externally the 2.3 OHCs are identical, should be no problem installing a turbo 2.3 in place of a NA using the truck motor mounts. That said you'll need to do a lot of rewiring on the later models(DIS), whereas it ain't a big deal to modify the earlier harnesses to use the turbo VAM and extra sensors. Unfortunatly the '87-'88 TC harness is a nightmare due to the complexety of those models, and would be tough to swap into anything else(but it could be done).

·
Registered
443 Posts
The whole motor will be needed. Not only is the block different but the head is different as well. The turbo motor also has forged internals as compaired to cast. I believe that ive heard about a couple of people installing a dis. It wouln't be hard in my opinion.

·
Registered
552 Posts
i know of a guy with a 5spd ranger with the tc motor. As far as I know it has tc motor and tc rear not sure of tranny, if you have any questions let me know and I'll ask him for your

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey I have a 84 Turbo ranger, there light and quick, and the rear will not hook

83 TC engine and T5 with a volvo FMIC, battery and fuel cell in the bed

If ya run the T5 you'll have to fab up a tranny cross member,
I got lucky mine is a old USFA flight line truck so it came with a limited slip rear and front rear sway bars.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
What's and HSC motor?

High Swirl Combustion (?) its the design of the head on the OHV 2.3s used in the tempo/topaz and taurus.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I saw a T-Bucket in a car show a few weeks ago. It was in a long line of other T-buckets. They all had Big or small block Fords or chevies. Some blown with a Roots blower, some fuel injected.... But ONE had a 2.3L Ford lifted straight up out of a Turbo Coupe. Engine, transmission, everything (Well, no A/C :D ) It looked good.

Point is; if it can be done to a T-bucket, I'm certain it wouldn't be difficult to do to a Ranger. I think its a great idea actually.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts