TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was a pull I made at the Shootout over the weekend. I had not yet set the boost controller so it initially made 14.3 pounds of boost but dropped to 12.1 by the end of the pull. Ended up making 495 rwhp & 563 rwtq.

http://s92895651.onlinehome.us/David+N+495HP+Run.mov

right click save as

After making the dyno pulls we set the e-boost controller to hold 15 psi and tested it on the street. It felt considerably stronger than the couple of street runs we made prior to dynoing the car, but I'm not really sure how much stronger it was because it was too late in the day to get it back on the dyno.

The following day we went to the track. The first pass wasn't very impressive except for the MPH...it wouldn't spool up until I was about 300 ft. down the track and it ran a 12.9 @ 129. Blew a HG on the second pass as soon as I shifted into 3rd...too bad because I was up 2 mph in the 1/8 and was on track for 131 mph in the 1/4. What makes it impressive is the car was the heaviest at the Shootout with a 4250 lb. race weight. According to several of the calculators it takes over 650 rwhp to go that fast.

Not sure why the HG blew, because they are Cometics and aren't supposed to blow before bending a rod or breaking a piston first. I guess I'll find out when I pull the heads in a couple days.

David

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Man, with a higher stall converter and the boost all dialed in, that's gonna be one wicked runner. Congrats on the job so far. Now comes the working-kinks-out phase...good luck!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sir William said:
Man, with a higher stall converter and the boost all dialed in, that's gonna be one wicked runner. Congrats on the job so far. Now comes the working-kinks-out phase...good luck!
Thanks Bill...so far I'm very happy with the performance of the car and have no doubt I will reach my 800 rwhp goal. When this thing spools up it's a rocket that never stops pulling.

In 1st the boost comes on so hard that it spins the tires and pegs the tach quicker than I can shift into second, so staying off the rev limiter is difficult. The e-boost controller I'm using can correct that but it wouldn't be nearly as much fun.

David

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Congrats David, REALLY impressive bro... :)

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pulled the heads off last week and one side had two blown cylinders and the head was torched where it was leaking. I also noticed that all the exhaust valve seals had blown off the guides.

While the heads are being repaired, I've decided to pull the motor and tear it down to inspect all the bearings and fix the leaking front and rear main seals. I'm ditching the AC because I know I'll never get around to having a custom condensor coil made. That and I need the space currently occupied by the drier to mount a catch can.

I also had a pumkin built up with an Auburn Pro limited slip diff and a set of factory Ford 3.73s to replace the 3.27s and the stock trac loc thats in there now. That should help the tranny to run a little cooler and get this heavy car off the line and into the boost a little quicker.

Should have it all back together in a month or so and will start finding the next weakest link.

David

PS: This link has some pics of the damage caused from the heads not being torqued down tight enough.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69957&highlight=Shootout+cometic

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Wow, just wow David, I never thought it was that bad man. Hopefully you'll get it up and running fast man :)

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tx_Cat said:
Wow, just wow David, I never thought it was that bad man. Hopefully you'll get it up and running fast man :)
Yeah it looked a little worse than I expected too. While the heads are in the shop I'm having a little extra work done to them to prevent the gaskets from failing in another area.

Crossing my fingers that everything is okay inside the motor. Should be back together soon. I'm not really in any hurry because I've still got my 91 in perfect running order.

David

PS: trife, thanks for hosting the video.

·
Registered
110 Posts
That thing is SICK, great job man.

Justin

·
Registered
187 Posts
That is one sick car man, couple questions for ya. what tranny are you running and did you beef it up, thats a lot of power for a basically stock tranny and rear-end. 2nd is you motor a 5.0 that was stroked to a 347 or is it a crate. Good work and hope the bird is up and running soon.

Bryan

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
94TbirdV8 said:
That is one sick car man, couple questions for ya. what tranny are you running and did you beef it up, thats a lot of power for a basically stock tranny and rear-end. 2nd is you motor a 5.0 that was stroked to a 347 or is it a crate. Good work and hope the bird is up and running soon.

Bryan
Thanks, the transmission is a custom Lentech AOD with soild input shaft and strip terminator Reverse/Third valve body. It's rated at 1000 HP.

The rear end was stock but the new one I just got built with the Auburn Pro diff should be alot stronger. Should be okay unless I launch real hard with sticky tires.

The motor was also custom build to my specs. It's built around an 8.2" deck Dart 302 block. Yes a forged stroker crank to get 347 CID.

Heads are AFR 205s.

David

·
Registered
219 Posts
Well i am sorry guys my hosting just went down. im going to try and get it back up on another server until than the link is down :(

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I was dissapointed that you were not there Sir Will. I was SOOOO looking forward to seeing the 4.6 Turboed bird.

Chris

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Wow, I don't want to use the word impressive, rather depressing, that kind of money sunk into an engine and something so simple, tighten head bolts to specs. If I did that at my job, I would be in leavenworth smashing small rocks smaller. Good luck, hope to see that thing in vids soon!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts