TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, the plan is to keep the car somewhat streetable. So I don't wanna get crazy with a turbo kit. And ill only have so much room for anything. I plan on nothing smaller than a 76mm turbo. Who on here has a turbo 4.6 on a 96-97?

·
Super Moderator
12,075 Posts
Sir William has one on his car. I'm not sure who else here has a turbo'd Bird.

RobertP could help you with the details however most of us, including him, are inclined to recommend a Supercharger over a turbo.

RobertP is in Carthage, NC about 3 hrs from you.

·
Super Moderator
9,303 Posts
Who on here has a turbo 4.6 on a 96-97?
Not many. To be honest, most people give up or sell their projects once they start getting close to completion. Time, money, and complexity will test the limits of anyone's desire to fab up a turbo setup for these cars. ironworker, Zero_Rain and even Twin_Turbo_281 (if some people count him in) all are among the "gave up" group.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Not many. To be honest, most people give up or sell their projects once they start getting close to completion. Time, money, and complexity will test the limits of anyone's desire to fab up a turbo setup for these cars. ironworker, Zero_Rain and even Twin_Turbo_281 (if some people count him in) all are among the "gave up" group.
ironworker was forced into a situation that made it almost impossible to finish his project :zdunno:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sir William has one on his car. I'm not sure who else here has a turbo'd Bird.

RobertP could help you with the details however most of us, including him, are inclined to recommend a Supercharger over a turbo.

RobertP is in Carthage, NC about 3 hrs from you.
I love the just instant power from superchargers and I was debating on doing a built 2v or a termi drivetrain and putting a massive kennel bell on it which is still an option if things seem far fetched for a turbo build. But Id like to race the car and just in my opinion turbos are better for racing. I love both bit I wanna do a turbo 1st but a supercharger is an option.

·
Super Moderator
12,075 Posts
I love the just instant power from superchargers and I was debating on doing a built 2v or a termi drivetrain and putting a massive kennel bell on it which is still an option if things seem far fetched for a turbo build. But Id like to race the car and just in my opinion turbos are better for racing. I love both bit I wanna do a turbo 1st but a supercharger is an option.
Then go with a Supercharger!

We're going to have a meet at Rockingham and Fayetteville after Thanksgiving. Why don't you come down and meet some of us and see our cars. There's going to be a great collection of some of the fastest Thunderbirds in the country there. You can get a good feel for what others have done and discuss ideas with us.

See the link below for details.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=137351

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep she's stock as a rock. I plan on doing a built pi 2v or a 4v termi swap. And a built 4r70w. Debated on a trans brake but wanna drive it on the street without problems.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Single turbo wouldn't be bad, It would definately yield some free HP. If that's the route you REALLY wanna go with then by all means go for it! I'm sure everyone here would be willing to help advise you as we did with ironworker. Superchargers are awesome and I plan on putting one in the cougar, but the feeling and sound of a turbo is on a whole nother level, so I feel you there, go for it man! I drive my twin Turbo audi around all the time and it pulls like a son of a :D:D:D! Nothing beats turbos. Either route I'd say is doable...as long as you don't try to stuff four turbos into your engine bay... :eek: :rofl:

·
Super Moderator
9,303 Posts
Turbosupercharger? :D

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Those are sweet kits! But for racing the supercharger will actually be a drag on the motor at higher rpm's. They are good on the street and cool bragging rights.
not as much as you think..........sure, it takes HP to make HP with a supercharger....but thats what smaller pulleys are for :tongue:

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Has anyone seen Sir William's turbo set up? I can't find pics of it anywhere. I've never seen a turbocharged 4.6 MN-12.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I would also like to know where sirwilliam got off to. I want to how he built his turbo.

·
Super Moderator
9,303 Posts
IIRC his was a prototype rear-mounted STS kit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts