TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know what you guys are thinking, and I know I sound like a broken record. I was informed by HP Performance this morning that the Turbo project on my '91 SC will begins this week. I will be giving you guys information as this project unfolds. :ssalute:

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
:znanner: :ztoohot: Keep us posted bro.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
5150Bird said:
Same here...let me know how it turns out and prices us "common" folk would end up paying. Im lookin to get into a 91 SC this spring.

Later
This week has ended, so I will call these guys on Monday to see what's up! :cool:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
91 said:
This week has ended, so I will call these guys on Monday to see what's up! :cool:
Any updates? I would really like to know how much a kit would cost and am seriously considering going for it.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
97ThunderCat said:
do it yourself for 2-3K i bet
I have limited mechanical experience, I can't weld and I don't have a pipe bender.... I might be inclined to get a professional installation and save the headache :) ! I'm not necissarily in to it for the learning experience or to prove that I am a capable hot rodder or tuner... I'm after the raw power, plus turbos and other gagets really interige me ;) I'm just looking for a good clean installation at a decent price.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You don't need a pipe bender or to know how to weld. I installed two different DIY kits without a welder or a bender.

If you want bends, get onto http://www.jcwhitney.com and get them in a wide variety of diameters and mandrel (even) bends. Buy a hacksaw and hand cut them. Line the sections up with duct tape for test fitting, then use a permenant marker to mark line-up points. I used a line with a corresponding letter on either mating edge. Then take it to an exhaust shop and tell them to line them up the same way and tack them together (tacking are just tiny welds to hold it together in case you need to break them for repositioning).

Then take it to wherever on the car and see if it fits. If it does, tell the exhaust shop to weld it up all the way. BAM, you're done.

Intercooler piping is even easier. Go to a NAPA truck parts store (for the big diesels) and ask to poke around in their truck radiator hose bins. There's lots of premolded shapes to choose from. I always manage to find a hose with about two or three different bends I can use. Some of the bends you can find will help you get around tight spots. And in combination with jc whitney exhaust pipe sections and bend sections, you can make whatever airpipe configuration you need.

Image has been taken from http://home.earthlink.net/~turbogus2/cooler.html
Courtesy of Thomas "Gus" Mahon, 1948-2002 RIP

Gus was the king of ghettorigging, and this was one of his best contributions. His tip to me and mine to you is to take 45-degree bends and use them to make even less sharp bends. Depending on where you hacksaw at in the middle of the bend, you can tack up a straight piece and redirect the angle even less than 45.

Oh, and Turbonetics can sell you the turbo stuff to weld on. Also something the exhaust shop can do. Turbo flanges, BOV flanges, etc.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Arro said:
You don't need a pipe bender or to know how to weld. I installed two different DIY kits without a welder or a bender.

If you want bends, get onto http://www.jcwhitney.com and get them in a wide variety of diameters and mandrel (even) bends. Buy a aw and hand cut them. Line the sections up with duct tape for test fitting, then use a permenant marker to mark line-up points. I used a line with a corresponding letter on either mating edge. Then take it to an exhaust shop and tell them to line them up the same way and tack them together (tacking are just tiny welds to hold it together in case you need to break them for repositioning).

Then take it to wherever on the car and see if it fits. If it does, tell the exhaust shop to weld it up all the way. BAM, you're done.

Intercooler piping is even easier. Go to a NAPA truck parts store (for the big diesels) and ask to poke around in their truck radiator hose bins. There's lots of premolded shapes to choose from. I always manage to find a hose with about two or three different bends I can use. Some of the bends you can find will help you get around tight spots. And in combination with jc whitney exhaust pipe sections and bend sections, you can make whatever airpipe configuration you need.

Image has been taken from http://home.earthlink.net/~turbogus2/cooler.html
Courtesy of Thomas "Gus" Mahon, 1948-2002 RIP

Gus was the king of ghettorigging, and this was one of his best contributions. His tip to me and mine to you is to take 45-degree bends and use them to make even less sharp bends. Depending on where you aw at in the middle of the bend, you can tack up a straight piece and redirect the angle even less than 45.

Oh, and Turbonetics can sell you the turbo stuff to weld on. Also something the exhaust shop can do. Turbo flanges, BOV flanges, etc.
Thanks for the info... now if you could just send me the motivation :D

I want to go fast, I just don't want to do all the work...

Btw, People like you amaze me... I almost had a panic attack from putting a fuel pump in and a differential.... and that was before I even started! I'm not patience, not a self starter and I am an absolute perfectionist when I do a project myself... It gets done faster, more efficiently and I don't notice all the imperfections when some else does it ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
SO am I all these things, take my word for it, once you start, you just won't stop!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry for the delay guys! HP Performance informed me a week ago that it would be 60 days before we get to see a turbocharged thunderbird. Thanks for hanging in there with me and being patient. I am about to loose my mind over the whole deal. :mad:

Frank

·
Registered
135 Posts
dirtybird91 said:
??? Sorry, but I can't figure out what this means? :D :confused:
Bill has a turbo mounted under his trunk (4.6 Bird). How does it work BTW?

There are a couple of Turbo SC's floating around this world already, just the owners are kinda shy.

David

1 - 16 of 16 Posts