TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I got a turbo for my 1996 cougar. Dose any one know of a place that sells good pipeing for a good price??

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
No such thing, gonna have to be all custom. For my FMIC i'm planning on ordering one of the universal kits from ebay and cut/weld into what I need.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Out of curiosity, which turbo is it?

Al

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,268 Posts
Down here theres a place, Race Part Solutions, Boca Raton, Florida.
They have EVERY size tubing and rubber connector you could ever need.

I'm sure there is a place near you.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Chad are you doing the work? Like said above LOTS of custom. Good luck buddy, post pictures of your project.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
For my FMIC i'm planning on ordering one of the universal kits from ebay and cut/weld into what I need.
Those ebay cores are pretty inferior. I would source out a quality piece with a Spearco or other name brand core. That is not an area to cut corners.

How much boost do you plan on running, and what size turbo?

Al

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ebay intercoolers are pretty good. I have never had any trouble running them on my old Volvo. There are better designs but they are exponential more expensive. It's not the crapshot that buying a Chinese Turbo or Cylinder head still is despite their progress. Anything for the hotside and proper boost control is what I would worry the most about .

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
What kills most folks after the piping is getting that engine properly tuned.

Esp with a turbo setup (in which partial throttle tuning is going to be a serious issue if you actually plan to keep the car streetable), I would talk with a few local dynos to get pricing and understand what expertise they can offer you.

This way you wont waste money on getting the pipes setup only to hit the wall that has claimed so many other turbo tbird projects.

or, you may find it necessary to save up more pennies first,

Unless your turbo setup works 100% with the videos/dynos to prove it, i would only expect to get pennies on the dollar for any (unfinished) turbo project.
-g

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
Those ebay cores are pretty inferior. I would source out a quality piece with a Spearco or other name brand core. That is not an area to cut corners.

How much boost do you plan on running, and what size turbo?

Al
I'm Centrifugally Supercharged running 12psi, only going to be using the piping not an eGay core. ;)

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I am used to dealing with all out setups on cars that were turbo from the factory, and then running 30-32 psi. So the intercooling part of it is important.

For a car running 10-12 psi or less, the e-bay core should be fine.

Turbo technology has come quite a ways, and as with a serious supercharged car, a built motor is mandatory.

Al

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well with a lot of calls. i have found a place to do all the custom pipes. i did get an intercooler form a friend who works on turbo cars. i have removed all of my a/c parts to make room for the fornt mounted intercooler. the new rear gears, u joints and shift kit are being installed now. the turbo piping is being fitted as well.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
well with a lot of calls. i have found a place to do all the custom pipes. i did get an intercooler form a friend who works on turbo cars. i have removed all of my a/c parts to make room for the fornt mounted intercooler. the new rear gears, u joints and shift kit are being installed now. the turbo piping is being fitted as well.
It's a tight fit with a 4.6 but not impossible. Difficult part will be getting the down pipe from the turbine housing routed past the motor and connected to your exhaust system without going under the K-Member. Routing it along the passenger side of the block next to the motor mounts similar to this picture is where you really want it, but there isn't much room with a 4.6.

David

1 - 13 of 13 Posts