TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 Thunderbird with the N/A 3.8L engine. Can it be turbo charged for less than a fortune? Can I get a turbocharger off some other car to use on mine? Sorry if I sound ignorant I am a newbie to the bone.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm not entirely sure, but from what I've heard you can use a turbo off of a turbo coupe. You would also have to have a header that would allow you to bolt on the turbocharger.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I won't be one of those search nazi's..however you could have searched before you posted this :)

In short, sure it can be done..but it is not really worth while to do it to a 3.8NA.

The internals are not made for it, nor is the exhaust or anything else. Many folks will tell you to just drop the 3.8NA and buy a SC or TC. Personally I am ripping my 3.8 out and putting a 5.0 in(which is more work than anyone will ever know)

Tim

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh I am sure. I have done swaps before although it was just a 355 into a Camaro, I cant imagine how much work this will be. I think that is most likely going to be the route I take.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
verumgero said:
I have a 1994 Thunderbird with the N/A 3.8L engine. Can it be turbo charged for less than a fortune? Can I get a turbocharger off some other car to use on mine? Sorry if I sound ignorant I am a newbie to the bone.

Not worthth it. Save your money.

·
Registered
268 Posts
ive been thinking about the same set up actually, if i were able to aquire a wrecked turbocoupe with all the engine components in tact would that be most of what i needed to add the turbo into my 3.8 n/a?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Cool! I see two newbies from Missouri, one is even from Kansas City!

Welcome to the site!

And, I'd hold off on the Turbocharging a NA 3.8. Just save your money, and get a SuperCoupe (if you just want the speed) or a 4.6 (if you want a good base platform for modding)

Of course having said that there are going to be all kinds of folks giving me a hard time telling me about all the power and mods they've done to the 3.8. Not knocking thier work, there are some great V6's here. But the simple truth is, its just easier and more cost effective to mod the 4.6 (or 5.0)

If you do want to keep the car you've got, look into a 4.2 swap. There are a few of those lurking around here, and they are pretty nice from what I've read.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I'll agree with most everyone else and say go either the SC route or the V8 route.

But here's some food for thought on turbocharging the 3.8L:

Exhaust plumbing will be "fun" if you plan on using only one turbo, and not twin turbos. And if you go twin, just add about 50% to the price.

From what everyone here says, (I have no personal experience on the 3.8L) the NA 3.8L will not handle boost very well. So to get the engine to handle the power you should go with at least a SC block and forged internals... If you're doing that, then you might as well just use the whole engine, supercharger and all.

I don’t think a turbo “kit” is available for the 3.8L MN12 platform, so you are looking at a 100% custom installation. Custom fabrication of this level can be expensive even if you do the engineering and work yourself (unless you have access to a full fabrication shop). When you’re done, you could have done a DOHC engine/transmission swap for considerably less money and have more potential (IMHO, I'm not knocking anyone going the 3.8L/4.2L route :bowdown: ).

Just my .02 and food for thought. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
If it helps, there's a junk yard about 5 miles away from Moberly he can get parts from. So wouldn't be too much trouble there, although I don't think they had a TC last time I was there, but it has been a while.

I'm actually from Macon. Do I know you? Need any help with interior or electronics, let me know. Godspeed, from Cameron, MO, was looking for a hood from a 96/97 Bird/Cougar. You know if they have on at Prather's?

I know a few people with MN12s around. Someone with a red 90 SC and another with an 89-90 Bird. Couple other people too.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
If you are going to do a SPI swap, check with Rod, AKA Racecougar and he can help. I got my 3.8 SPI from Greenleaf @ BlueRidge and 23rd St. for under $600. Now, if you run the SPI, you can get a TT kit from one of the MOOstang sites and go from there.

Welcome to the site.

Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts